New EB with staking system - question

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

Does anybody own the new EB and the staking system? How did it work out for you this season? I am considering getting them for next summer, but the staking system sounds pretty short (4 feet from the top of EB).

Thanks!

tmm

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm curious to know also ?

Still waiting for someone to reply ? Does anyone have the new staking system ?

Endicott, NY

Actually, I did get the staking system, but never used it. In my situation, I wanted to be able to move them early in the season, and it seems that the staking system is attached in the hole where the casters go. So being able to move them was more important to me than staking. It actually turned out great. I eventually moved the boxes right next to the house and tied the plants to that lattice that was attached to the house. They grew unbelieveably tall. Next year I'll pay better attention to pruning. Sorry, I know this doesn't really help you, but you should know about not being able to do both (move & stake).

This was my first year for EB's. I'm wondering what to do with them for the winter. I know your situation in Florida isn't the same, no down time really, unless you want it. I'm wondering if I should try to put them in the shed (that will take some doing) or if I should just leave them where they are. Any ideas?

Sequee lives up your way and she just cleans out any weed or roots, covers them and waits for Spring. Adds fresh mix to top it off in spring. That is really all you can do or if you only have one EB you can use fresh potting soil every season. I would do so to keep my soil healthy and disease free. You never know especially if you buy your plants from a nursery and not raise your own. For $6 or $7 for 2cu ft of potting mix it might be worth it? Miracle-Gro works great as long as you don't buy the one with the moisture control granules in it.

Franklin, OH

This cage made from concrete re-enforcing wire looks like it's going to work pretty well for HEBs sitting on the ground. The wire is 5 feet tall. I'll use 4 foot sections of concrete re-enforcing rods on each end as support to keep them from blowing over. It was simple to made, the holes are 6 inches apart so it takes 10 sections for a Rubber Maid 18 gallon tote. Starting at one end, bent two sections, then 3 sections, 2 sections, 3 sections. Use the tines to bind cage closed.

Thumbnail by earlc2

Based on your configuration why not a rectangular one built around the EB and anchored to the ground?
Not being very handy in construction knowledge " Could this be done earlc2??"

Franklin, OH

Tplant,
That would work for determinates since the wire is only 5 feet tall, but I grow mostly indeterminates and can't afford to lose 18 inches by bringing cage down to ground level.

The picture is decieving as the cage looks a lot taller?

Franklin, OH

sorry, Tplant, wasn't trying to deceive. I mentioned cage was 5 foot. Just the way picture took.

It still is an excellent set-up and has given me some fresh ideas for my peas, beans and cucumbers. Thanks!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.