Want to call the Plant Police? Vent here....

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I get aggravated when I see plant abuse and the people I talk to don't know and don't care. I wish there was a Plant Police to report them to... Maybe you will let me vent here and please join in!

This past weekend our local discount house / garden center had their greeter sitting under a 'misting' fan. Can't blame them as it was hot. The mist, however, over a period of time had DRENCHED the cactus and succulents. The comment was Oh Well...

The plant police should be on duty to confiscate any and all local invasive plants sold at DIY and department stores! They should also FINE the same stores for hiring staff who don't know the difference between a tomato plant and a rose!.. BTW, FINE them also for having staff who will tell a customer " Duh...I dunno, I just work here!"

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

oh no, no, no! let the uninformed staff be! that only means that sooner (rather than later) those plants will be on sale. I just bought a lantana (a brand new variety, couldn't find anywhere) at my local lowe's for 25 cents each. After only 2 days of TLC they look 100% better.

oh no, no, no, let them be, let them be, lol

You got a point about their ignorance is bliss for us when it comes to sales. ..But when the perennials are on sale and they charge you the full price because they didn't know it was a perennial..." Maam, only the perennials are on sale this week!" ...Also when all the roses are afflicted with black spot, and they're packed tighter than the sardines with the overhead sprinkler going full blast .... now you know the plant police needs to be on duty!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Next time they have okra seedlings for sale, tell some cop you think they're growing pot. Should be good for a laugh!

When I get anything from one of these places, I feel like I'm doing rescue work. They might as well be working in the grocery department, and IT IS IRRITATING!!! But what really gets me is when they pretend to know what they obviously don't. So not taking proper care of plants should be a misdemeanor (one charge PER PLANT) but lying about it would be a felony.

Hey Brig... that's a good one! But if they were in the grocery store, they might ring up my string beans as asparagus or the watercress as bibb lettuce!! :0) Even though I know there are some who want to do a good job and learn about the plants the'yre selling. A few will even try to find someone to help you. It seems the store would want to hire someone that's a little bit more knowledgeable than my pumpkin who calls every dandelion a "pretty flower!'

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Some shouldn't be allowed out in public at all. Some do try to help. It's the ones who try to bluff you that get me riled. Stores shouldn't have garden centers unless they have at least one fulltime gardener.

I agree, it makes for good business. I appreciate some stores who will have a master gardener available even if just on Sats... BTW, the grocery store as described above, TRUE story!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Unfortunately, I can believe a cashier would mistake watercress for bibb lettuce, but string beans for asparagus? That cashier probably went on to be in charge of some garden center...

Ours is soooo bad that the clerks don't know what radishes are. Sooo bad that I remember the code and tell them so they won't give me a blank look ~ what is this? Are we the only ones that eat them? I am known by all as the radish lady and many times they ask did you used to work here? NOT!

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I'd like to know where these places are supposed to get knowledgable sales people for the wages they pay. I'm happy if they understand English, and can grunt and point to what I'm looking for.

oops, mis-spelled English....doh!

This message was edited Sep 11, 2006 2:11 PM

claypa, you're exactly right.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't think it's just the employees. I picked up two hibiscus yesterday for $3. The sign on the table said "Hardy Hibiscus" and the tag in the pot says "Hibiscus rosa-sinensis". Mmm hmmmm.

claypa, you're exactly right.
For a little while, there was a WM that hired 2 seniors which just happened to be master gardeners. That WM quickly became my favorite store as the plants looked great and were well taken care of. One of the two, a lady, was quickly promoted to nursery manager, and just as quickly reassigned to automotives. She quit and things went downhill. Upper Mgt did not care that she was knowledgeable about plants--she was needed to keep shelves filled up with cans of motor oil, and that's where they put her.

After that happened, I lost all sympathy for those stores, and any time I can take advantage of their narrow-minded mgt style, I do! Let them be the plant killers, let me be the plant rescuer

I would not feel so hostile to Wmart if they actually would discount plants that were on their way out literally. I watch over a period of 3 weeks (visiting once a week) a stapelia melt in agony priced at $9.95. For its' size, that price was a little high. But the stems rotted away. It could have been rehabbed but they adamantly refused to discount. Man did that irritate me! Where are those plant police when I need them!

maybe it's because they see me hanging around a lot, like a gnat on rotten fruit. But if I bat my eyes and ask for a price break, I usually get one. The two stores that I frequent do offer price specials on declining plants. Last year I bought a $5 Knockout tree rose, 36". the most pitiful sight...you should see it now.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

My mom and I have been on several dumpster diving rescue missions at WalMarts and Home Depots. We've resucitated many a limp pony pack of spring and summer annuals that had been neglected, abused and then discarded because the store would not allow discounts. A little water, a safe home and some words of encouragement did wonders for them - most burst into leaf and bloom within a few weeks. Sadly we couldn't save all. The truly fallen were given burial ceremonies in the compost pile as we let them know we appreciated their sacrifice and assured them they would soon become one with all the plants of the garden.

Atta girl ~ G_M! If I were nearby, I would join in the dumpster rescue. I agree with Brigidlily that it feels like you saved another plant from doom when you buy one from the "plant factories". Vossner I suspect that the W'mart mgrs have a different style. I visit 3 on a regular basis ~ one garden center sucks ~ one is mediocre and the third is really good. At the third one, I find unusual plants in good condition for the most part. Or maybe they've heard rumors of the plant police!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I drive by our local HDs every Friday at 4:30. They often get a shipment on Thur., and the teenagers that work there in the summer are lazy twits. They mark the roses with random numbers, I kid you not. This year "Iiberated " 2 peace rose, 2 Mr. lincoln, 2 Wild Blue Yonder, 2 Hot cocoa for < $10 each because the twit brigade didn't want to unload them from the pallet so the put out a sign "$10 each". I sent my neighbor back an hour later and she nabbed the last one. It must have been a frenzy at 5pm!

I take it Greenjay wouldn't want the plant police to visit! Great bargains on the roses.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9a)

I was at a Garden Center in Chandler yesterday where they have a very extensive selection of plants and garden "art." They are very pricey but have a wonderful selection. Nothing is identified, pricey but un-named and was told to speak to the "extremely busy" unconcerned greenhouse attendant who is the expert. I knew more than he did. (have you ever asked a questions to which you already knew the answer?) Worse yet! All the expensive offerings were dying, neglected, already dead and pushed off to the side. Just venting..........sigh!

p.s. I did manage to trot off with a pricey but rare Sanseveria Cylindria (had lots of pups!) ;o)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

If you people would start buying at your locally owned garden center instead of the big boxes you would be way better off. Might just keep your friendly neighborhood person in business too.
We are seriously thinking of not growing plants next spring because of poor sales.
We have tried everything, but people are in love with Wally World & others. So when you buy that half-dead or wrongly marked plant, think about Mr. Jones down the street that would offer you something special that will grow. He will also give you advice on how to care for it & what to do in winter, etc. If you do have a failure, he will probably make it right.
Enough said,
Bernie

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I hear you Bernie, but for every Jones, there is a Smith and a Brown, who will lead the unsuspecting down the primrose path. It is better to be knowledgeable and buy from a grower who has earned your trust. If you don't know one plant from another, the big garden outlets and most of the little ones buy from a big plant farm like Bonnie, so you get a standard even if sometimes it is mediocrity. The big centers also garantee thier plants to live. It might take the FBI to find Smith and Brown if you get bad plants.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

The local garden centers here don't come & go. They are very trustworthy & been here a long time.
I take it you are talking about internet sales or what.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Bernie, I am with you I have never purchased a plant from a big box store. We have wonderful local growers. If I can't find what I want I will resort to buying via the Internet though, but only after I have checked the local stores.

Then I order from two places that I have gotten plants before and trust them. I order bulbs and seeds.

This message was edited Sep 14, 2006 1:15 PM

Lonoke, AR(Zone 7b)

Bernie...I wish I had a local grower I could trust. The one nursery we have in town is absolutely clueless...since I have been gardening the last year, I have learned more (Thanks, DG!!!) and know that what she is offering is pathetic. I am the loyal type of shopper....when I find a privately owned business that I can trust...they keep my business. I have also stopped buying from the big chains unless it's something that is a really good deal and I have knowledge of the plant. That only leaves me options of internet sales and what I can trade here at DG. I would love a good local grower.....I just have yet to find one!

Rhonda

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

No. Bernie I am talking about Gorgeus Smith, who read a book and decided to grow exotic plants for sale at yard sales , flea markets, and farmers markets. They rarely last a season but some of them can pile it higher and deeper. and of course Tobacco Road Brown who drives thru neighborhoods selling off his pickup truck. There are no local established growers of Vegetable plants, The local retail nurseries, feed and seeds, and big box stores all buy their plants from Bonnie Plant Farms. Local here as far as vegetable plants are concerned means backyard growers, some are honest, some are not, and some are just clueless.

Bernie, wish we had a grower like you nearby. There are 2 within short distances of me and I was not a happy camper when I visited. Both of their staff ignored me, when I asked several questions about local invasiveness, one told me "either you want a tree, a shrub or flowers, now how can I help you?" At the other nursery, I was told " one man's weeds... another man's flowers!" I've been told because they both landscape the new homes for the local builders, customers like me are chicken change. I did find one small friendly nursery on the way into Kansas City. They were very helpful, approached me before I could get all the pumpkins out the car, greeted us and all. Now that was customer service and they did help me tremendously and yes I bought several plants from them. But you do bring up a good point and the next time I need plants, I'll check out the friendly nursery instead, even if I have to drive a few more miles. And I'll tell them "Bernie sent me!"

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I look at the big box stores, but faithfully return to our locals - they always ask how the kids are- where were are going for vacation - and how our gardens are doing. Can't beat that personal touch....plus they have sales too!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I only have one problem with the local sellers by me. They close too early! One had his year end sale on August 6th. He has awesome plants even though the prices are high. I'd happily go back and buy him out. Going out of business was 75% off and I saw that on the sign a few days after he closed.

somewhere, PA

As I was reading through the stories of clueless twits at the box stores, I recalled an absolutely
delightful day I spent at a wonderful nursery in NJ I visited last year. RareFind Nursery (they do
mail order too). I drove 2 1/2 hrs to one of the last open houses of the year - probably early Oct.
I had very little competition from other customers and everywhere I went, I ran into phenomenally
knowledgable people working there. When they realized I wasn't completely clueless myself,
they just got fired up & I can see their enthusiasm. It was just a wonderful afternoon. I think the best
was when the owner walked around with me and told me where he got a number of his starts. He
got this xyz when vacationing with his parents in Maine and got that xyz from a friend who went
to China a few years ago. He LOVED what he was doing and I LOVED walking around with him.
And I brought home a boat load (ok - a car load) of terrific plants you'd never find at Walmart.

There is nothing like buying plants from truly knowledgable people who love plants as much as
you do.

Tam

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

One of the ladies coming to the Round Up on Sat,., stopped up at the farmers market this afternoon to see us. She is from central Iowa, near Fort Dodge. She had been to the locally owned nursery in the same mall we have FM in. She was all excited, because all perennials there were half price. She said she never sees deals like that in Fort Dodge or DesMoines.
They always say Minnesota is the friendly state!
Bernie

Yes Bernie, I agree about the box stores. The problem is I go there at least a couple times monthly so I have to do a "drive by" on the plants. It is rare to find an item to purchase. We are quite rural and the nearby greenhouses & nurseries tend to stock the trendy stuff. I don't want beds full of bedding plants like every one else in town had. I lean toward more unusual, bizarre or exotic. Not to worry, I don't find much at box stores often either. I wish I had enough time to indulge myself on a quest for greenhouses. I would gladly overdose on green. : ))

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I buzzed through Wal-Mart a couples weeks ago. They had signs up for shrubs at $2 & $3.
Notice we are zone 4A, all their on sale things were Zone 5, one variety was zone 6!
Menards is still selling hanging baskets & annuals at their spring price. I know the lady who is forced to manage that mess. She says they just keep shipping them in. She has nothing to do with ordering. Menards headquarters in Wisconsin somewhere sends them in. Annuals should work good here because frost could come any day now!
Still want to shop these places?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I enjoy the discount prices at all of the big box stores. It allows you to be filled with neglected plants at almost nothing. If you are uninformed enough on what your zone is then you need the education that the plant will give you. I never expect Big Box people to help me with any garden problems. Only to rip the bags, place the shade plants in the sun, run over the annual table with a forklift, and what ever gets that plant in my garden with hardly any investment on my part. I only feel for the good nurseries who have to compete with these prices. Oh well I will never start up a nursery.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

re: "If you people would start buying at your locally owned garden center instead of the big boxes you would be way better off. Might just keep your friendly neighborhood person in business too."

I do. Tagawa's, O'Toole's, Nick's all get my business on a weekly or semi weekly basis. Each has a specialty, and each of the aforementioned either grow a lot of their stock or bring in things from local growers. But I also have a budget to work with, and a $10 AARS selection rose in reasonable condition gets my attention no matter where it is being offered. I have bought thousands of dollars worth of plants and materials from my local nurseries, and they all know me by sight if not by name (I'm usually blocking the aisle peering at a tag or sorting through plants to find several of the same variety... )

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

They all get my dollar over and over again. Most of my plant buying now is more difficult to get plants. But when I was starting I bought the cheapest. And with my codependency I need to fix plants and it makes me happy to visit Home Depot.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

If you get lousy service and put up with it then I'd have to say you deserve it. Sorry i don't want to sound mean, but you and others are the ones that allow it to go on. I work with a person who will look straight at you and then walk away while your asking for an item. Now you would think that someone would complain to management about it, but no, they would rather get mad and come back later to tell me all about it. When you suggest they talk to a manager about it "they don't want to get any body in trouble" This is what allows the problems of retail to go on and on. And yes they do stick anybody in any department because the turnoer rate is 75%. Not many stay long enought to learn anything. So the next time you get crummy service do the good employees a favor and complain, please!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Unlike you I don't need someone to give me service. I love to be left alone in a store. I just want to get almost dead plants and see them come back to life and thrive. If I need advice or questions answered I just go to DG. LOL

Clearwater, FL(Zone 9b)

>>If you get lousy service and put up with it then I'd have to say you deserve it. Sorry i don't want to sound mean, but you and others are the ones that allow it to go on.

No. The burden is NEVER on the customer to ensure that employees are well-trained and capable. It's a nice benefit when concerned/unhappy customers report problems to people with the authority to do something about it, but it is NOT the customer's responsibility. That burden is first, last, and ALWAYS on the people being paid to provide the service.

As for local vs. big box store? I shop at both (and online). The people who get my business are the people who have what I want. If what I want is in more than one place, usually the most convenient place wins. My bottom line is I go to the place that best suits my needs -- sometimes it's a small nursery specializing in native plants, sometimes it's a box store with huge flats of cheap annuals, and sometimes it's ebay.

And like soferdig, I mostly prefer to be left alone when shopping. ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.