Is there something you should spray on your plants?

Madison, MS

I've been noticing a few problems with some of my plants - really different problems with each kind. The amarylis have some spots on the leaves even though they are getting huge and the best the have ever looked. My red ruellia looks like parts of the plant are wilting, my hibiscus has some yellowing leaves and some white spots. My angelonia have some kind of teeny little hopping bug on them and they are yellow looking with holes in the leaves. My balloon flowers looked burned on the edge of the leaves and the slugs/snails are making are gathering storing their pantry's for Thanksgiving with my Hostas!!! UGHhhhh.... How in the world do you treat all these things and not know what they all are. Is there one thing that you can treat everything with?

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

I wouldn't be much help, because I don't spray anything at all unless I've had a week of no sun. On those rare occasions, I might then spray a fungicide/bacteriacidal spray. I've only twice (in 5 years) had problems with flea beetles on my baby eggplants. I'd spray them once or twice with non-residual pyrethrin until the eggplants were big enough to fend for themselves.

I would suggest knowing what you've got before you spray. You might try taking some of the leaves of the plants that you are concerned about to your local extension agency. especially the amarylis, because if the plant is otherwise healthy, it might be something like a leafminer which can look strange but is otherwise usually harmless.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.