Nice, healthy vine. One of my
favorites.

Jackie

Dallas, TX

Yes its a beauty!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

its in a one gallon pot

Dallas, TX

Its not in the ground? Gee I will put mine in a pot too next time.

Rutherfordton, NC(Zone 7a)

My hyacinth bean vine is spectacular. I ordered seeds from Parks because I couldn't find anyone who had a vine up here. How do I save the seeds? They seem to disappear from the pods if I leave them too long. (I just planted mine in the ground here in western NC and let the vines climb on a railing.) Hurry. The beans are ready to harvest, I think.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

just take the pod and all and put theam in a jar they last longer that way dont shell the beans

Dallas, TX

I cant wait to see pods ... this vine is divine ....it traveled across the fence into the the neighbors yard ... he jus loves it too.
Do you dont wait for the pod to dry out or pick them when they are green?

Sylvia

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

let theam dry out

My pods are now purple, large and the beans inside are firm. Do I leave them on the vine to dry out? Do they turn brown when they dry out on the vine?

Dallas, TX

I just saw pods today! I will have my own seeds! How cool is that! :)

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes they will turn brown

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

It is one of my favorite annuals. Comes in white also, which did better for me this year than purple... They attract hummers, too!

Thumbnail by AuntB
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

they will grow all year round down here paul

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Oh, Paul. EVERYTHING grows year round down there... so how does that work? The vines go to seed and die off, seeds that fall germinating and starting the cycle all over?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

no the vine dies back some but will come back in the spring wich is feb here lol

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

(sticking out tongue) I need to move.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, I have a hyacinth bean vine and it's one lonely stem twining up the stick.

Just want to know...what is the best culture for these babies...I assume full sun, but what else? I started mine from seed but maybe our growing season is too short?

Thanks. t.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

part shade

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I grow in full sun here. Some late afternoon shade. Since Spring begins in Feb, for Paul, and the growing season is so long, they work in part shade in FL. I plant more than one seed to make heavier cover. And usually water daily in summer.

Dallas, TX

Hot Texas sun here!

My vine is in morning sun but no shade. Interestingly enough, I had dropped some moonflower seeds into the same soil as the hyacinth beans never thinking the moonflowers would germinate (have had sporadic success with them). This weekend there were beautiful white flowers intermingled with the hyacinth bean blossoms.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I just love moonvine, the foliage, the bloom and it makes really neat seed pods, too. I may like it more than hyacinth bean cause it has more lush foliage and covers an arbor from top to bottom. The bean will cover too, but I plant more seeds to make really lush growth...

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

this is my side garden you can see my vine that is just one seed some of my cannas to

Thumbnail by phicks
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Oh my gosh! One seed!?! This year mine just weren't as prolific as in years before, maybe the trees have grown and they aren't getting as much sun.... (If I didn't have to work, I could monitor their sun intake, but I like to buy plants and pots and eat...so) I love your canna bed with the vine behind.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks B

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.