Writing Spider, Scribbler, Black and Yellow Argiope, Charlotte's Web Spider (

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Columbia, SC

Wow! This is amazing!

Thanks. I always look forward to seeing these in spring, then later on in great numbers as adults in my garden.

Here is a group of spiderlings from this year.

Thumbnail by kniphofia

And an adult I saw this week.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Wichita, KS

So many children and no shoe (to LIVE in)!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Those are too cool! I am hoping mine will survive and I will see many next year as well. They do not have much web left and there are two sacks on the side of my home. When do they normally hatch out? Did you provide any type of protection for them?

Thumbnail by JanetS
Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

OOOOH my worst nightmare ( I am scared of spiders), but what beautiful pictures!!! Really nice!
I keep all my spiders too, hoping that one day I will overcome this ridiculous fear!!!

Christie

I can't remember when the spiderlings usually hatch out. In Spring I think. I know that in summer I would see a great number of the adults in the garden and in fall the egg cases would appear all over the place. I never provided any protection or interfered with them in any way, and they certainly survived my zone 4 winters in Maine with no problems. Once the spiderlings hatched they would eventually disperse after a couple of weeks then I wouldn't usually notice them again until the summer when the adults appeared.

I'll have to hunt through my photos and see if I can get some more info.

Thanks for the comments everyone and good luck with your egg cases Janet!

Sue

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Sue. I am very excited about them. I will keep an eye on them I hope I can get photos of them once they hatch too!

Canton, OH

WOW!!!!They are soooo adorable!!I just want to pick them up and hold them!

Perth, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

These occur in Britain? I've never seen one, though I'm in the far southeast.

No the photos were taken when I lived in Maine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.