Ugly but cool....'Mutant Weeper'

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Some have asked to see what an older example of this tree looks like. Here you go. It is truly the strongest weeper ever in the Ginkgo family. All sorts of leaves. Looks like a tree with an identity crisis.

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It's confused alright!

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Nice infestation of japanese beetle variety ginkgoales. Tee Hee.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I smell compost!

Just another man's opinion. And should probably keep my thoughts to myself!!!

Take care 'owner of Mutant Weeper':

Dax

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It is good for a giggle!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

I LOVE that tree!

It's a very nice weeping tree with unusual leaves; what more could you ask for? (Okay, exfoliating bark and alternating green and white striped variegation of the leaf veins would be nice, too! ) (:o)
Mike

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

A second look - I like it!

Dax

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

A second look and I'm still gigling! But, I do like it for what it is!

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Seriously!

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

That's really something. I've never seen anything like it. (And probably never will, in person.)

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Yeah, I look forward to it's strange confusing growth. Evidently the parent was in an old cemetery and has recently died. Perfect place for the creepy looking critter....

Denver, CO

I love screwballs, but I don't know about that.
The appeal of Ginkgo, to me, is that fanciful leaf shape, so 'Saratoga' and 'Tubiformis' just don't cut it either.
What's the newest news on that european gold-edged selection, Diddybuck?
K.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I've found another one with the edging in yellow. It's called 'Preshistoric Gold'. Rich's Foxwillow Pines has them. I haven't seen one yet though so I can't report.

Denver, CO

Maybe the dogs have just taken a picture of a ginkgo just before fall leaf color...
Now, an 'Aureomarginata' would be the ticket; I'd sell my mother for it.

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

I would grow it. If I could find it.

Denver, CO

My opinion of this:

Thumbnail by ineedacupoftea
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Red.

Denver, CO

and gold.

Checkers!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It's beautiful! What is it?

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Toad Lily??

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Frittilary?

Denver, CO

F. gentneri.

Oooooooooo.
(K)

Or you could have just read the name on the photo. I have never been fond of the checkering on frits . . . until now. A most impressive species, and very well grown.

Denver, CO

You don't like tesselation? What on earth is wrong with you? Can there be no more novel a use of color!?
How about Colchicums?
To the nitpickers: Yeah, it's a tree. Sure.

I grew this F. verticillata. (or thunbergii, I have to ask some folks for sure) I fancy it being a semi-vine, no joke there.

Thumbnail by ineedacupoftea
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Amarylis (sp?) was my second guess but foliage was wrong on both!

I'll still take a conifer over any stinking flower anyday and twice on leap year day!

Just kidding of course -

Dax

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

The name on the photo, ROTFL! Well now, that's just cheating! I gave a good guess and I want my credit!

Denver, CO

I give you credit, mate.

Silly man. With a checkered pattern and that shape flower, what else could it be but a frit?

Still, you did better than Dax, but he's a conifer devotee and not much into the flower department. He'd be the first to tell you that.

Of course, I'm just having fun. That I would criticize anyone, when I am apparently the only one who can't figure out why the frit pic was posted in the first place, is simply ludicrous.

Credit given where credit is due.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2006 12:09 AM

Denver, CO

Said Tropicalaria: "I would grow it. If I could find it."
I thought the same thing of that red/gold animal, and at the time was more than excited about it, and thus officiously shared it.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Take care ladies and gents. I'm off to graft Kevin's blue and Acer japonicum leaft look a like.

Best,

Dax

I SEE !: (That is) my opinion of this:

How SILLY of ME.

Actually, there are several frit species I would love to get my hands on. Ian Young at the SRGC showed me them. So cool.

Denver, CO

He's the man for that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.