Large earthquake in Gulf of Mexico

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

This is so strange...Paul and I were sitting in the living room this morning when he suddenly asked where the cat was.
He said he felt the couch shake and even said like an earthquake! He thought the cat was in or under it. We immediately started calling the cat, I was worried Paul had squished him in the couch. I've sat on him myself, several times.

The cat strolled out of Paul's office and we forgot about it until we saw the news about the earthquake. I'm a Florida girl...we don't have earthquakes here...

Bay News 9 Breaking News:

A large earthquake was registered in the Gulf of Mexico Sunday morning.

The National Earthquake Center confirmed an earthquake in the Gulf at 10:56 a.m. It was centered 260 miles west southwest of Clearwater and about 251 miles west southwest of Bradenton Beach.

It registered a 5.8 magnitude, which is moderate in scale, according to the U.S. Geological Survey web site. A 7 is considered large and 3 is rated a minor earthquake.

Tremors were reportedly felt north to Gainesville and beyond.

We live ENE of Clearwater, maybe 15-20 miles as the crow flies

Another headline from LiveScience.com:
New Warning: U.S. Gulf Coast Faces High Tsunami Risk
the link: http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/050316_tsunami_carib.html

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Stacey called and told me it has been upgraded to a 6.0 magnitude, and Tsumanis are warned.
http://baynews9.com/Home.html

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Ohhhh, not good!.

Prayers for everyone!

Joey

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh my gosh! I hope not!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- A strong, 6.0 earthquake in the Gulf of Mexico was felt throughout the Southeast but caused no apparent damage, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake was not powerful enough to trigger a tsunami warning.

The quake, about 250 miles west of Tampa, Florida, was "pretty unusual" for the area, although a 5.2 magnitude quake was recorded nearby in February, said USGS seismic analyst Jessica Sigala.

People as far away as Atlanta -- about 530 miles from the quake's center -- called into local television stations to report feeling tremors at 10:56 a.m. ET. (Watch Floridians talk about feeling the tremor -- 1:39)

Sigala said that since the surrounding terrain is fairly flat, the earthquake would travel far and fast. The earthquake occurred at a depth of 6.2 miles, the USGS said.

About an hour after the earthquake, 904 people from 365 separate ZIP codes in the Southeast had filed online reports to the USGS that they had felt the quake.

Florida and Georgia led the list with hundreds of reports each, while a handful of reports also came from Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana residents.

The most distant reports came from Rosman, North Carolina, and Pickens, South Carolina, both about 600 miles from the quake's center.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

The news of an earthquake "shocked" a lot of folks here in the area...LOL

I think those that felt it, like Paul, have felt tremors before. I didn't feel a thing but probably would have thought it was our old wood house doing its thing

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Laugh! I'm glad it didn't cause any damage for anyone.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I live just 50 miles north of Pensacola and I remember the quake we had back in '98. I was at work at the time and felt the whole building shaking. Nobody said anything, but we all looked at each other like we were thinking "did you feel that". LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.