Azalea caterpillar moths are chowing down!

Pittsboro, NC(Zone 7a)

What's a good way to get rid of these boogers? I have about 20 azaleas around my yard, but they seem to prefer one particular species. I can't do poisons (wildlife & pets) or strong chemicals (my own sensitivity to some chemicals, including most bug sprays). Is there anything that I could use to get rid of them that is environmentally friendly and not real strong?

Thanks!
Linda

Thumbnail by lwhalliday
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Dawn dish detergent works on pest for me. Usually 1 tablespoon per gallon. I would test it on a leaf first.

You do howerver have to hit the caterpilar directly with the soap to kill it.

Pittsboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks! I'll try it tomorrow afternoon when I get home from work.

Missouri City, TX

I use Murphy's Oil Soap for almost all pests. 1-2 oz per quart. Does not hurt plants or soil.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

Does it work on JBs too?

Grant Valkaria, FL(Zone 9b)

"Is there anything that I could use to get rid of them that is environmentally friendly and not real strong?"

When the caterpillars are small, BT aka Thuracide is very effective. Once they get larger, it's only marginally effective. Works by eating out the buggers insides, as they ingest it. I use it in the garden on my veggies.

Pittsboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate all your suggestions. I'm going to have to wait until the weekend, though, to try them out since it's supposed to rain here. Figured it would be better to wait until afterwards, so it wouldn't wash off.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.