Decollate Snails are they Good or Bad?

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I was ready to try decollate snails in my garden, when the cashier at a local nursery told me once they run out of slugs and brown snails they will devour your pants.
Well that sure gave me pause...
Has anyone tried them?
Is this cashier correct, will they turn on me, will I end up like the character in the book "Too Many Mice"?

Just to refresh your memory - There were mice everywhere in the village so they bring in cats to get rid of the mice, dogs to get rid of the cats, alligators to get rid of the dogs, elephants to get rid of the alligators and finally mice to get rid of the elephants...

Dove

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know if they'll eat your plants--they're carnivorous snails because they eat other snails/slugs, so they may not have any interest in plants. I'm not sure if they're straight carnivores (more like cannibals!) or if they're omnivores and just prefer other snails. Since they're sold for the purpose of controlling the snails that are eating your plants, my guess would be that they would at most take a tiny nibble here and there of plants, otherwise they wouldn't be sold to control the problem of snails eating your plants. However, there must be something bad about them because I know you aren't allowed to sell them in northern CA, only in southern. And if they were entirely beneficial, I don't know why you wouldn't be allowed to have them up here!

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi ecrane
I read that about Northern California too, but there was no clear answer about why they don't allow them... other than they could threaten the natural mollusk population...huh?

It would really suck if they ate my earthworms...

I definitely need more info

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.