A total remodel

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I thought I would share a few before and after pictures of really my new GH this year..
When we starting building it last year it was November and already quite cold and so we did not do it the right way as far as the sheeting so over the hot summer that did not last and I had wanted to use the panels on it last year but with the build and money we decided just to use the sheeting we could find locally which was not the right stuff but this year we have had an earlier start to get it ready for winter this year and this is the before and after.. I still wish I had the space to have added on but It will serve it's purpose to winterize my tropicals

This is last year 12-14

Thumbnail by SnowBird56
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

This is now and is just about done, only a few more panels on the roof and we can work on the new shelves and floor inside.

It has the clear GH panels on the roof and we used the off white around the bottom but all the windows were given to us so that saved a ton of money but my hubby had to totally redo the frame to accommodate the window sizes and it has totally worked out great and I love all the light that will get in and with 11 windows all around that I can open will help when it does get to hot in there.

Thumbnail by SnowBird56
Louisville, KY

That's nice! You all did a great job! You will enjoy many years to come with it!

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

You will really love it. What size is it?

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, It is a 8x10 and this year I will enjoy it so much more being able to see out and open all the windows if I need to. I am hoping it will do better holding heat in this year since he has really sealed it good..

It doesn't appear that you should have any problems with it. It really is a nice looking GH. I don't care how big your GH is after the first year using it you will decide it is to small. This will be my second winter for mine and I already know it isn't big enough. But it is all that I can afford.

Give your husband a big pat on the back cause he did good.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I really do love the way it is turning out and he still has to build me a couple shelves and he already built me my potting sink and storage area last year and he is thinking about pouring a cement floor, he layed brick in there last year and it worked quite well. He is a real keeper and all he says is thats the only reason I keep him around is to fix things, build things but he is a real artist when it comes to scroll art and wood art.
We are so limited on flat land here so that was about the biggest I could do and I really have out grown it from last year. I have about 9 more Brugs that will need to be brought in and I am attempting to keep my lettuce and a couple tomato plants going as long as possible.

On the brugs if you chose to you can always cut them way back to store in the GH. I don't remember how many I had in there last year, but there won't be that many this year. I am going to be real selective. I guess it is because I have 4 bananas that will need to be in there. Yes I will cut them back a great deal.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I am also but most of mine are still not over 3-4' so they are still very small . I did have one that was grown from seed last year that actually came back this year without any protection but it will be awhile to see that one bloom and I am going to bring it in this year, I just could not dig it up and it had not Y'd at that point but took a cutting anyway but lost it so I was so excited to see it popping up out of the ground a month ago and growing great now.
I have always wanted to get a banana tree but until having the GH I would never have been able to winter it so maybe next spring I will try one of them to add to my little tropical collection thats the price I paid for coming to a colder climate than what I was use to and left all but one large Yucca behind...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.