Enjoying the last of summer's blooms

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

My Motolski hosta finally decided to bloom. They are so neat. Each tiny blossom has a furry/velvet texture.

Thumbnail by se_eds
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

A lovely hoya bloom.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, patootie - it took it 2 years to bloom.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Beautiful bloom

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

Never seen that ever... more info please! Gorgeous.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I've always admired hoya, just haven't taken the plunge... I have soo much else to keep my hands and mind occupied. It's beautiful, I love it! 2 years? Ah, but soo worth the wait. It is perfect! They remind me of those soft fuzzy, zip-up 1 piece baby/toddler pajamas. Goodness, now I'll be hunting for one... se_eds, other than waiting, are they finicky to grow?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Is that the correct botanical name? I could not fid it in plantfiles.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

Hoya ... great. It takes 2 years to bloom? I can wait two years for that.! And do you winterize it over the snow seasons.... oh, can't wait. where do we find these???

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I've seen them at Logees.....

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

I believe the correct spelling may be Hoya motoskei. Beautiful flower!

:) Kim

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I received it as a trade, marked 'Moltolski" hybrid. It was a cutting and rooted easily in damp Pro-Mix, then was transferred to a larger pot. They are easily grown.

blue-eyes, you may be right - that is why I didn't post it to the plant files.

There are many hoya lovers on Dave's Gardens from all over the US and Hawaii. Many of the Hoya's are very fragrant - think cloves and vanilla mixtures.

I overwinter it by bringing the pot indoors and hanging it by a window.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

Ooooooooooooo, i am all over this one now. :) Thanks for sharing se_eds.

Moody, TX(Zone 8a)

I suppose something can be said about having a brutal summer. I have had seed pods on three of my hoyas for the first time ever. I planted some and they germinated in less than a week. Wonder how long it takes for seedlings get mature enough to bloom and if they come true from seed. I have 6 different types all hanging together so I am sure they must have cross polinated.
Patsy

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Patsy - you are so lucky - up here I have never got a seed pod. If a cutting blooms in two years, maybe the seedlings will also. I do know that if you take a cutting with a 'bloom bud' on it, it willbloom rapidly as the 'bloom buds' ( I don't know the correct name for these) will definetely bloom again for the next round of bloom.
Claire

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.