I didn't have many blooms.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

This is the first year that I have tried cannas, and frankly, I am super disappointed. I only planted 8, and so far only 2 have bloomed. Is zone 6 not a good "home" for them. Any tips would be appreciated. I plan to dig them and store for the winter, and hope to have better luck next year.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Bone meal, lots of sun & and water kept mine blooming. This was my first year for cannas. If it wasn't for the advice from people on this forum, mine would probably be dead. Thanks to DG'ers, this was a good first year.

There are plenty of people on this forum who breed cannas and will help you when they see your post. I just happened to be an early bird and read your post first.

Good luck
Deborah

|Thanks

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

how big was your Rhzomes that you planted?

West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

in zone 5 i plant mine indoors in early march, thats how i insure my cannas will bloom.

Orlando, FL

I just bury them in the soil and maybe throw in a little fertilizer and they start blooming in about a month or so. If you mulch them well they would probably overwinter unless your soil freezes down deep. My Sister had some at another house in miss and they overwintered. Fran

My rizomes were really good size. Maybe, in this climate, I need to start them indoors, then move them out later. Our frost free date is May 10th, The foliage is green and growing, but I have some that they will be lucky to bloom before frost, if it is an early one. Thanks for the tips. Any other advice?

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

They are supposed to bloom in a month?! I have quite a few that I planted in July and they don't look like they are anywhere near large enough to bloom. So far, only one has bloomed. They have been very slow to grow and I have made sure they get plenty of sun and water. I don't know what their problem is. Most are about 12 to 18" tall so far. It was very hot when they were planted and I had to water almost every day... we have been having rain off and on for about 3 or 4 weeks so they have been receiving plenty of water. I fertilize with MG... the older one... had a big box full.

Tammie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.