Finally my first clematis bloom

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

This is my first clematis to bloom. (not sure of the name) This was an unbelievable surprise since I did not think this one would make it. I have been battling gophers, chickens and puppies. Lost a couple clematis to the gophers then the puppies chewed a couple down to nothing (including this one ) and finally the chickens thought the leaves were tasty.

Now please tell me I do not have to prune this one. It is such a small vine maybe2ft total. If I do when do you prune them?

Thumbnail by Desertdenial5
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Marie, does viticella sound familiar?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

No it does not sound familliar. I plan to go home tonight and try to figure out where the tag got buried. No time last night as my son had his first home football game.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Marie..very pretty..regardless of which pruning group it is...you will want to treat it like a pruning group 3 this coming late winter/early spring and cut it an inch above the 2nd leaf axil and fertilize with Rose Fertilizer and give it some nice Alfalfa Tea...that is what I call an immature bloom so Iding is hard...next year your bloom will probably look right and we can give a proper id....Jeanne

(Zone 5b)

Marie, did you find out what your clematis is? Please try looking up Madame Julia Corrovan -- it sure looks like mine. It's not like I haven't been wrong before, though. LOL.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

No I still have not figured this one out yet. I am going to wait and see if it flowers in the spring and see if I have more mature flowers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.