Newbie to irises needs help fast

Davis Junction, IL(Zone 5a)

I have recently bought some irises but have no idea how to plant them. Need to know how deep and spacing for them. This is what I bought, Earl of Essex, Friction, Mother Earth, Painted Cloud, Strike It Rich & Busy Being Blue. I think they are bulbous bought them from Breck's. I would like to plant them tonight as I received them yesterday. Any help well be greatly appreciated. I am in Zone 5A. Thank You
Kevin

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

These are TB Iris, which grow from a rhizome. They need to be planted very shallow, I leave the top part of the rhizome showing,( think middle-aged ladies sunbathing). TB iris need VERY well drained soil and full sun. Any spot that has standing water will mean the death knoll for them. It doesn't hurt the rhizomes to be out of the soil for a few days.BTW. And sometimes I put a rock on them so they don't tip over until the roots are established. Not a boulder, just something about the size of the rhizome.
I'm surprised that Breck's didn't send planting and culture requirements with the order. Did you check out the company on the Watchdog??
Spacing, about a foot to 18 inches. It depends of the vigor of the cultivar and the growing conditions.. Rebloomers don't always rebloom. It is a somewhat rare occurance here.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

As grannymarsh said, plant your tall bearded irises so that the tops of the rhizomes are level with or slightly below (no more than 1/2") the soil surface in an area with full sun and excellent drainage (a raised bed would be ideal). Avoid amending the soil with high nitrogen amendments such as manure or fertilizing with high nitrogen fertilizers. Do NOT mulch directly over the tops of the rhizomes. Water deeply immediately after planting then again a week later. After that, let Ma Nature take over the watering duties. Bearded irises are very drought tolerant but can be easily rotted by overwatering. Always err on the side of dry with bearded irises.

I plant tall beardeds at 18-24" spacings. Any closer than that will require frequent division and replanting.

Laurie

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

http://www.schreinersgardens.com/iris_faqs.shtml#planting.

Here ya go
:)
A

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Glad you mentioned the mulch and over watering, Laurie. It is so important.

Davis Junction, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank You so much for your quick response. It is suppose to rain here for the next 2 days so i have to get them in tonight.
Kevin

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

What about over winter? Leave them bare? Mine are planted "low-rise" with a bit of the rhizome above ground. But Colorado winters can be brutal, and often without snow cover.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Mulch is sometimes helpful for newly planted irises over their first winter in cold climates with inadequate snow cover. Wait until after your ground freezes solid, then cover the irises with an airy material that will not compact around the rhizomes. Evergreen boughs are ideal, but marsh hay, straw, or whole oak leaves (not shredded) can also be used.

I don't bother to mulch my new iris plantings. I don't care to pamper plants that aren't tough enough to handle my severe winter climate on their own. Therefore, I embrace the practice of "survival of the fittest". If a new iris makes it, great. If it doesn't, that just leaves room for me to try a different, and potentially more hardy iris in its place.

Laurie

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

Laurie

I had to laugh, I have been known to call my place the "Darwin yard"

Opposite climate, but same idea. I will baby my tropicals in pots (different obsession) but once something non-trop is planted in the ground and I have given it a healthy start, it had better be a performer or something else will take its place!

No room for wimps here in South Georgia!

plantnutga

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.