Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Sweet Autumn Clematis
Just coming on, it's peak of glory...

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Very densely flowered section.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

This is a really big plant, it covers over half of a chain link fence that defines the north property line of our garden.
It really does smell sweet.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Gloriosas and Clematis.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Clematis and Gloriosa - looking the other way...

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

In this pic its hanging out of a tree. This is a different plant. The first clematis went horizontal, this one chose vertical. It's been hard to get a good definative picture high in the tree. I'd estimate it's climbed over 35 feet up the tree its in.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Rudbeckias, dusty millers, and artemsia front the clematis.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Bensalem, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh wow!
Your garden is lovely!
Please tell me your SAC is as fragrant as it is lovely because I'm going to be planting this clematis soon.
Becky

Decatur, IL(Zone 5b)

OH MY that is beautiful. I will have to add the fall clematis to my collection now. And what can I say about the Gloriosa just WOW.

Thanks for Sharing
Beck

BTW hi Becky from Becky.......LOL

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I love the clematis and Gloriosa. I now need both.

Denver, CO

Good design.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I was able to get a couple of pics that illustrate the clematis twinning up the tree.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Clematis in tree with monarch -

Thumbnail by jmorth
Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

I bought a sweet autumn early last spring. It's not doing anything much .... it's grown a little bit but if I don't look for it I can't see it that's how little it's grown. Of course it's never flowered either......

I must be doing something wrong....lol. The leaves look good, and I feed it. It's in the sun but the base is shaded by other plants.

Any special secrets....??

~Julie =0)

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I was given two long cuttings of Autumn can they be rooted in water, or dirt?

My attempts to root clematis cuttings both in water and soil has not worked, but I think if you try it with an airstone in the water as the bubbler effect it will help. Atleast that is my plan when I try again...lol

~Julie

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

The Sweet Autumn is a beauty alright, but if you don't keep it contained, beware. Last year mine completely took over and grew on and over EVERYTHING within 2 feet of it. It is planted in front of a wrought iron fence, along with 4 or five other clematis and it has strangled everything else out. I have a beautiful crape myrtle on the other side of a wrought iron fence and the Sweet Autumn just about destroyed it. It also climbed over a 10 foot Japanese Maple, and up and into a 25 foot fotinia tree. Also leaned over and attached itself to several planters. lol

I spent some time in the early winter pulling it loose from everything and digging it up (I thought) but there must have been some if it left, plus seeds, because it is back and strong again this year. It is beautiful in bloom but I'm not sure it is worth it unless you have a place where it can run wild without strangling everything in its path.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I'm with you, trunnels! It's so nice to have when most other things are winding down and it's a good thing I love it or it would be taken out. The best defense I've found is to cut it waaay back every other year.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

My mother cuts hers back in the very early spring, every year. She leaves a couple "nodes" for new growth, but it still gets big and glorious, but not pesty and invasive.

I want mine to get big and wild and uncontrollable....lol. Maybe I should dig it up and move it someplace else in the yard.

~Julie

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Don't worry ~ it really won't do much if it was just planted last spring. If the leaves look good then you know it's getting it's feet settled in the ground and will have good growth next year. The following year you'll be getting close to your desired "big and wild and uncontrollable". :)

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

I bought my home in November of 2004. Last spring (2005), this vine planted next to the house started growing, and growing and just would not stop. I'm sure the electric meter person loves me for it. But, it ate my purple coneflower and tried to eat my blue columbine about 3 feet away from it. It is very pretty around this time of year, but it's crazy!! It's currently eating my phone box.

Believe it or not, I thought I had pulled it all up, but as you can tell, that didn't happen!

Thumbnail by indiana_lily
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

hee hee! That gives me an idea... if I plant one in the next yard, will it eat my psycho neighbor's house with her in it??

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

Moby, if it works, let me know, because I have the crazy lawn guy living on one side of me! Or, better yet, no, that would be evil..... Spred seeds all over his immaculate lawn and watch him go nuts. hmmmm..... one can dream. LOL!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Such dreams are great therapy. (fun, too!) >;)

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Moby - you would have a psycho neighbor. Heck, what would you do without a little weirdness in your life?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

No weirdness in my life? Then I'd probably be dead! LOL

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

I'm drooling over your blooms because I lost mine!

I've had a SAC growing on our chain link for years. This summer
I was terribly busy doing a million other things and lost the vine's best
blooms to beetles. Those suckers completely demolished the vine.
Sadly, I cut it back and we'll just watch better next year.

:-)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Do you know what kind of beetles?

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Oh yes, nasty black beetles called Blister Beetles or Clematis Beetles.
Epicauta cinerea or funebris. I'm sorry I don't have a picture of one, but I'll see if
I can still find one of the nasty things this evening, then I'll post a picture
on the files.

Oh, wait, just found a few pics of the funebris:

(Thanks, Magpye)

Thumbnail by WUVIE
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Haven't seen them before and hope I never do. Ugly little devils!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I have found this clematis to be a real trooper. It has also seeded itself a few times. Mine gets a few hours of sun and also gets shade...takes over a large portion of the fence as well as growing up in to the neighbors trees. I encourage the vine to grow over other shrubs as well and I enjoy the contrast of the white flowers on other textures.The fragrance is lovely and this fall the vine busily humming with bees.
I live on the other coast...but I would think this would be a worthy contender for trying in CA?

Thumbnail by GardenerGardner
Farmingdale, NY(Zone 7a)

I have just bought some seeds for this. I'm new to gardening and bought it just from the description. I've never seen it personally. Does ONE plant do all of that, or do you plant several seeds at once?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Gloryglory;

SAC are exceptionally vigorous, that could be one single vine. I've one. Oooh Yaaah, don't I HAVE one! LOL. Beautiful vine, but boys! Doesn't it get big, I meant HUGEMONGEOUS! I remembered some one wiser than I once said "Perenual vines; 1st year it sleeps, 2nd year it creeps, 3rd year it leaps" and this one not only leaps, but it spreads every which way but...

One of the most fraquant in the Clematis family. Take lot of cares, to keep it looking its best. Grooming this handsome vines and it will reward you with it beauty and sweetness. It's a semi-evergreen in my zone 7b. Picking out brown leaves, deadheading it back ect. ect. In my experience it doesn't require much fertilizer either. Mine is in full sun, in the shade SAC seems somewhat timid, remains smaller, but that doesn't stop it from blooming either.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

If you've trees in the area it grows in, this clematis will seek the sun growing up the tree to amazing heights. Illustrations were posted at this threads beginning. I'd estimate it's grown up that tree at least 50 ft. I've two vines, 1 grows east and west on an E-W chainlink fence (and over onto a neighbor's garage, fortuately, with his blessing). This past year it grew to the fence's eastern most terminus and where the fence turned south, so did the clematis, appx. 6' so far. The other vine is the one that has taken the upward route through the tree. In this zone appearance after flowering hasn't posed any problem as the leaves are green till frost. The seed heads are rather neat initially at least. By winter's end the fence is fairly clear of any offending decayed remains. It truely is a sight (and smell) to behold when such lengthy vistas bloom (late August into Sept. here). Both present plants are self-seeded from a mother plant that has since passed away. I should note that in spite of producing a multitude of seeds, I've not had a problem with clematis plant proliferation (though with campsis, the hummingbird vine, it is a problem).

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Jmorth, Are the glorisa vines hardy in your area? Or do you dig up the tubers for overwintering? I love that plant but only tired to plant the tubers once, and failed.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

se_eds,
The goriosas are quite tender up here; those grown in the ground are dug up and stored in perlite in the basement over winter. However, the majority of my gloriosas are grown in large pots. The tubers so grown are allowed to stay in their pots (also placed in the basement) till next season.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for your reply. I will have to try them again, as I love the blooms. I had purchased some at the Phila. Flower Show several years go, but they died.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Jmorth;
More info. regarding Glory lilies please. I found it pretty challenging with this lilies. I had a pot once. It did well already bloomed from nursery. Subsequent years I tried to plant the tubers, and failed. DG's PF indicating these require very alkaline soil pH. 8-9 range. Also, it's difficult to tell which end of the tuber should be up? Any advices would be greatly appreciated.

My SAC were glorious too last Autumn, but looks like it about to overtake my Cecile Brunner Roses. I'm looking for friends/neighbors gardener enthusiasts in my area who willing to come and dig this *Big, bold, and beautiful" vine off of my front yard's arbor. :(

One more; Armandii Clematis have you had experience with them? Flowers are creamy white like that of SAC, but bigger. They blooms in Spring. Mine are now in full glory.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

nice pics all - wow , my armandi snowdrift & apple blossom both are beauties right now - yours is beautiful lily love - mine are young, so I still have next year. I have a stupid question, tho - when they get to the top of the fence, do you train them to go horizontal - mine have branches reaching up into the open air. Do you train them, or do they eventually find the fence line again?

Thanks!

**we have a wood fence, btw

This message was edited Mar 22, 2007 7:49 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.