Packaging my first trade

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

I'll be mailing out my first trade in a few days and I want to make sure they are in the best shape possible when they arrive. I've read the packaging info in the trading primer but wondered if anyone had any additional tips.

I'll be mailing 3 Endless Summer babies that are around 5 inches high.

Sherry

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi,
I save plastic bottles from soda and water and cut them to form a mini greenhouse around my cuttings. I plant my cuttings in 8 oz plastic cups (has holes I poked in it), then when the cuttings have rooted, I put the cup into a new cup (no holes) after thorough watering, mist leaves, place the cut part of the 16 oz water bottle (for this size) over the plant (you can cut with a razor or box cutter to make it as tall or short as you need), tape the cut bottle to the outer cup very well (and tape a label if needed also). Then I use bubble-wrap to cushion it and pack it in a sturdy (corregated) box. Even if I put it gently on its side and the potting mix shifts a little, it won't harm the plant. Just be careful when layering the cut plastic bottle on the plant to gather all the leaves inside. One more thing I sometimes do-- I bought a bottle of Schulz water-sorb gel. I make up some gel in the our cup to add more moisture during shipping. I did this during the heat wave midsummer, when I was mailing trade plants all the time and they all did fine.
Wish I were receving one of your Endless Summer babies, that's a hyd I've been hankering for.

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the info - you certainly are a conscientious packer!

Am going to layer a few branches of Endless Summer and Nikko Blue. Hope to have babies in spring. Maybe we can trade then.
Sherry

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi Sherry,
More like worried about plants living... so far every plant I've received has come in pretty dried-out condition.
My Nikko Blue layered itself, I have to get the baby out and move it. The cut soda bottle idea I actually got from another hydrangea site, that person showed how to use the cut soda bottle as a mini-greenhouse on hyd cuttings during rooting.
Would love some Endless Summer next year.
Beverly

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

Beverly, I'll be working in the garden this weekend and I'll bury a stem or two for you.
Sherry

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Thanks!
Beverly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.