HELP! Canna Virus

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Around here you can walk into a nursery and they will have 30 huge canna pots that are so diseased it is disgusting. In fact I would say 9 out of 10 canna I see in nurseries around here, they are virused.

I saw this one the other day and I have been so wanting it. But I was afraid to get it because the leaves looked just a liitle odd to me.

Can anyone tell if it is virused just by the looks of the stripes?
THANKS

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Well those may be to small to tell.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Another

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Usually you can tell a mile away but I am afaid this one is just starting to show the virus.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

And the back

Thumbnail by Kell
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

is that canna Bengal tiger?

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Looks like a bengal to me... that is how mine look,, the dark edge of the leaves is a dead give away...

Tammie

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Kell that looks like a bengal tiger .. it's suppose to look like that!

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

yup no Virus

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

What worried me was that the lines were more mottled than real lines of color. That is what happens to Tropicanna as it is showing its virus characteristics.
So can you double check your leaves for this pattern? THANKS

Thumbnail by Kell
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i still dont think that canna has virus ive seen a lot of it growing cannas all these years i think it is just stressed out from a to small pot Regards Paul

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

You would see really light(not normal variegation) streaks along the veins and in places,necrotic brown lines and finally holes along the veins where leaf tissue died. The leaf will look dry and shriveled and the plant will be stunted.

This message was edited Sep 9, 2006 2:55 PM

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Your nurseries must have some really bad symptoms going to be seeing Pretoria as disgusting ..LOL
Pretoria is an excellent variegated canna. It's striping contributes much to it's beauty.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

You misread my post, Alice.

Thanks all. I have 2 huge stands of beautiful Tropicanna and I am so afraid to bring a canna virus into the yard. I would be too sad if anything happened to them.

I was talking to a nursery owner a while back and he told me that a huge grower of cannas has a bad virus in his crop and most of the cannas offered for sale on the wholesale side to him are now virused. The Tropicannas for sale are so horrid to see, I do not know how they can try to sell them. But lately I also see just regular cannas looking bad too. They used to be staple here and huge pots of beautiful ones were available all over. It is so sad to see them now.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Look at what I found. This is so scary, I think I won't bring anymore cannas into my yard. And Pretoria is one that is infected though it appears so many are now infected across the country.

Important Note: Canna collections worldwide have experienced problems with virus infected plants. In Britain Ian Cooke destroyed his National Collection because much of it was infected with a virus. In the United States the Canna Yellow Mottle Virus has sweep rapidly through collections and nurseries across the county. In an effort to curb further spread of this virus, the California Department of Agriculture has ordered the destruction of any infected variety. Inspectors from the Agricultural Commissioner's office for each county has been inspecting and sending in for analysis every variety of Canna from California nurseries. We have had our inspection in May 2005 and then destroyed all virus infected plants; the canna we continue to list are all virus free and we will continue to monitor and test these plants to insure this.

'Pretoria' - (Canna x generalis striata) - A large Canna, growing 6-8 ft. tall with very attractive yellow striping on the leaves and large orange flowers. One of the showiest cannas. Good for accent plantings. We no longer grow this variety as it was determined to have Canna Yellow Mottle Virus in May 2005.

http://www.smgrowers.com/info/canna.asp

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.