considering buying a GH

Feasterville Trevose, PA(Zone 6b)

I have only one possible location for a greenhouse.
It is an area big enough for a 20 X 30 structure max.
This location gets full sun from 8AM to about 3PM.
The length of the structure would be oriented facing east and the west side of the GH would get very little if any direct sun. I live in zone 6b. near Phila. Pa.

Is a GH impractical for me considering I will want to keep Tropicals with a Min. temp of 55 degrees in the winter.

The only plus that I can think of is that these plants have low light requirements.

Does anybody have any advice that they can share?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm a little confused about how it gets direct sun from 8-3 but the west side gets very little direct sun--is that part under trees or something? If one part of the area is significantly shady, I would make a smaller greenhouse and put it in the sunnier part of the area, the sun will help you with your heating costs. As far as practicality, I think it's a matter of how much money you have to spend on setup and ongoing operating costs--if you want a greenhouse that takes up much of that 20x30 area, the greenhouse itself is going to be quite expensive, and the costs to keep it above 55 all winter could also be rather high, but if you go with a smaller one then both the initial and ongoing costs will be more reasonable. Lots of people in your zone and colder keep tropicals in greenhouses, so if you have the budget to get the right setup and keep it running I don't see any reason why you couldn't do this.

Fulton, MO

I agree. Full sun 8-3 probably would work fine. You'll probably still wind up using shade cloth in the summer (if you use the GH in the summer).

Whether it is practical depends on how much you want to spend on the greenhouse.

Feasterville Trevose, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you ecrane and stressbaby. You are right about the trees ecrane. 20 X 30 is just the maximum given the space I have to work with. I will probably buy a GH around 10 X 15 in size.

Maggie Valley, NC

Mangosteen,

Go for it!!! You've got better orientation for a GH than I do and I am going to do it anyway. If I have to add light in the winter I willl. I'm used to making changes in order to accomodate the plants. I am going to grow orchids (again after many years) and the conditions for tropicals are not that disimilar. I will probably try to keep 60 degrees at night if I can afford it. I live at 34-3500 feet and we get wild winds, snow , ice etc. Ski resort up above us at 4500 ft. I just bought a Cross Country greenhouse from ACF Greenhouses in Buffalo Junction, Va. (On the web at www,acfgreenhouses.com)Great company to deal with .. their people have been great so far. The Cross Country GH are built by BC Greenhouses in British Columbia and are packed in wooden crates and all labeled with contents etc. So far have discovered no damage. Check them out. Both great companies. Also understand from other threads in other sites that ACF is cheaper than the BC company for the same product.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.