Man facing charges for injuring vegetation

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

http://corner.nationalreview.com/

LOS ANGELES Sep 6, 2006 (AP)— To prosecutors, Robert "Roy" van de Hoek is a vandal with pruning shears. To supporters of native California shrubs and trees, he's a martyr.

Once again, he's in court.

The Los Angeles City Attorney's office says the former park supervisor cut down non-native plants in one of the largest coastal wetlands in Southern California, killing a ficus tree and myoporum shrubs.

He is facing six misdemeanor charges that include injuring vegetation without permission. Each count could bring jail time and thousands of dollars in fines.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

A hero! I wonder if he needs some support letters?

Guy S.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Guy, there's laws about Posse Comitatas. Since when are/were you a fan of vigilantism?

The whole story is here: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2400806

Looks more to me like someone who's looking for a third strike! No offer of why he couldn't have asked for a permit (or volunteer affiliation) to remove invasive vegetation from the sensitive lands.

Maybe Guy will bail him out, and have him over to inspect SHFA...

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
Since when are/were you a fan of vigilantism?

Always have been! (Unless it involves Evil and her chain saw and my mimosa . . . but I do predict that Evil will be the one bailing him out.)

Guy S.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

This is just silly. There has got to be an easier way.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I think it is because it is wetlands area. They are fiercely protected by a bunch of laws. You can't do anything there without a permit. I know because I own wetland property. I'm still learning what I can and cannot do.

I read about this case a bit ago. Most of my friends are aghast. The end does not justify the means and his actions weren't exactly above reproach or in the best interests of the environment per se. His cavalier approach to very complex issues will most probably create a ripple effect which may negatively impact legitimate entities. This man is a fanatic in my opinion.

Yes, there is an easier way. One works within the parameters of the law. What you aren't being told is that this man worked for the U.S. Bureau of Land Management as a wildlife biologist. He was a Chair on the Ballona Wetlands Task Force so exactly how difficult would it have been for him to procure the appropriate permits given removal of noxious and invasive species is not inconsistent with wetlands conservation. Additionally, it is my understanding he making a move for one of the open seats on the national board of directors for the Sierra Club. I can't help but wonder what his true motives were. He knew better.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

...and to think, all he really had to do was wrap a small wire around the bottom of the trunk and wait.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

My guess is that he feels that permits and that sort of bureaucratic hassle shouldn't be necessary for removing invasive plants. All the time wasted while applying for the permits, more weeds are germinating.

Resin

My guess is he is playing up the public to make a run for one of the open seats on the national board of directors for the Sierra Club. Sorry but, anyone who circumvents the laws should not be on a Board for a 501 (c) 3.

A friend of mine who is a diehard environmentalist once said the following to a young overly enthusiastic member who was attempting to pull some really choice theatrical stunts which that member believed to be for the greater good, "Parliamentary Procedure allows even factions that dislike each other intensely to work together to a common end. In Parliament, the two opposing parties are separated by a swords length and 2 steps." What he was basically saying is that the two opposing sides don't have to be friends to get work done but they should not be drawing swords for the sake of sensationalism.

I truly don't think van de Hoek was attempting to expedite the process of removing invasives by simply dispensing with what he deemed to be nonsense bureaucracy. This guy was out there trying to make some sort of a statement and when people pull these shots by not playing fairly with others, the sides will polarize.

Thornton, IL

I think you hit the nail on the head. What a wack job. His kind don't help, only hurt the cause of restoration and preservation. Kumbaya.

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Quoting:
my mimosa . . . but I do predict that Evil will be the one bailing him out.)

Ummmm.......don't you mean mimosa's, as in plural?

Ya, that one monster Mimosa "specimen" of his that he has such an emotional attachment to is probably loaded right now with seeds.

Now didn't your parents teach you about assuming?

Well, is his beloved Momosa spawning evilness or isn't it right now?

You mean does the "specimen" tree have seedpods all over it? Why yes, in fact it does. But the bigger question would be about the other tree on the other side of the driveway.......

This message was edited Sep 9, 2006 10:44 PM

What other tree?

What? You didn't know? There's a nice size luverly mimosa tree on the other side of the drive, that's in my guess, about 15 ft fall. He had me take pictures just for you, and I got a nice picture of it in bloom, how long before it sends out little baby goey's?? Oh yea, and it has a new branch, he told me, that's all this years growth. All 6 ft of it. Yep siree bob. I'm pretty sure this other tree is not a spawn of the larger one.

I had heard reports from last year that there was a second one but that it was only around 10' tall. These reports were unconfirmed until now. Lordie, Lordie, Lordie, he'll have great seed set with all the nice warm summers we get around here.

Oh my, we're not entitled to be having this much fun. What next? A companion for his Siberian Elm?

Quoting:
those first two responses reflect the dreaded wrath of the mighty Equilibrium, who might strike you down with lightning bolts for even thinking of propagating such a notorious tree. But I live near you in Petersburg and have had one for 30 years. Up here mine has not had any seedlings survive their first winter -- it's just too tender. I'm watching it, though, and if I start seeing volunteer seedlings making it, out it goes. You never know what the increasingly warm winters might do for this tree.

Quoting:
I think somewhere we probably should make the point that such skeletons are relative. Someone who knows the threat and plants one carefully monitored specimen of a potentially invasive tree for study or public education (e.g., me!) is a different situation than a community lining the streets with them and walking away, ignoring them and their reproduction. It's sort of like having a license for concealed carry -- it's a risk and most lay people shouldn't do it, especially if it's just for landscape use where many other (non-problematic) species would suffice. That being said, I don't know how you draw the line objectively and effectively in the gray areas (like Albizia here in central Illinois), and I certainly don't condone anyone planting the worst offenders in their adaptive regions.

Do you notice the wishy washyness of it all? Notice also, that it says one carefully monitored specimen. What happens with two? Is it still all right? And tender? What's tender about those trees? I didn't see anything tender about them. Please explain.

Sorry, you were typing while I was. Yes, I suppose his Siberian Elm is mighty lonely. Where might we find one so we can surprise him? Wouldn't that be a nice early Christmas present? I'm excited now! Who should we call to get one?? It can be from you and me. How speshull.

Edited for missed word....

This message was edited Sep 9, 2006 11:04 PM

If he's got a Siberian Elm, I doubt its lonely but I could save a few volunteers from over here if ya want.

SCORE

I think this counts as 100 points for the X-Team.

Oh goody. Hmm....mail em or shall we deliver them? I'm thinking we should deliever them and with our shovels in hand we can plant them for him. He'll be so surprised.

YEA!! We get 100 points!!!

Don't worry Guy, we're just funning with ya!

No, on second thought... I'd say you scored 200 points for us for the quotes you pulled out of the air.

I dunno, it took me awhile to find them. I think maybe it deserves 500 points, don't you??

Well, you've got a point there. I'm game to award the X-Team a total of 500 points for the comments on adaptive regions alone.

Actually, that should be 200 plus 500, making a total of 700 points.

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

So, Now that the "Abomination" has spawn, What shall we name it?

I vote for: "Medusa"

GUy, Can I have some seeds from the "Abomination"...

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I sure enjoy ya'll's banter and fun you're having talking about these trees that I don't know a thing about.

What makes a tree undesirable or invasive? Don't ALL trees reproduce? If they didn't there wouldn't be any more of that species right?

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

You know, I've been giving this some thought...

I think that we should add names to all the Mimosas at Guy's. Sort of like cultivar names.

Hmmmmmmm...

How about some of these:

"Misfortune", "Impossible", "Denial", "Little
Nicky", "Robustum", "Another One", "Prolific", "Conquerer", "Destiny", And my personnal favorite: "Lauren's Lament"

After that group (and/or a few other choice one's other Davers come up with), we could just go to numbers Like:

!2,000,005,672,561

etc...
This way we won't have to worry about someone accusing them of being invassive, because they will all be designated clones

i.e,

SPECIAL!

Guy, there's a solution for every thing. And I just won the Superior "Y" team 1000 pts. NADDER, NADDER, NADDER....

Thornton, IL

'Denial', now that's funny.

Hey Loon, The concern with invasives species is multi faceted however a major component of the equation is an exotic's ability to successfully outcompete native species.

This message was edited May 2, 2008 10:32 AM

No Patrick, you got it all wrong. You made our case for why not to plant such an invasive thug. Pretty soon, with all those names cultivars you've chosen, it'll be Starhill Forest of Invasive Species Arboretum.

I do believe you need to forfeit those 1000 points and give them to our superior team, the X's. Give em up to the rightful owners. We X's scored another 1000 points thanks to Patrick! On behalf of all X's, we thank you!

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

TerrieR and Evil, you silly little females need something productive to occupy your time. Heck, you can't even add! Cluck-cluck and yap-yap!!! Hee-hee-hee!

Patrick, you're welcome to come down here and visit my two Abominations anytime you like, but don't count on their seedlings being hardy up there in your yard. We have zero seedlings survive down here. None. Zet. Nadda. Hey, Evil, is "nadda" another letter in the Silly Seuss alphabet?

Loon, we've been kidding one another about invasive species for longer than Evil will even admit she's been alive. She and Terry both know I've done more than almost anyone else in our state to curtail the production of such species. But Albizia is not invasive here at our place, so I grow a couple of them and watch to make sure they stay benign. The seeds don't travel more than a few hundred feet and the seedlings are very easy to spot, so I'll know if they ever start to establish.

It was truly a magical moment to see little Terry's eyes bug out and her jaw drop when I walked her past the second Albizia. Oh, that was soooo good! And Terry, the new growth on each branch is over eight feet, not six! Now, where's the pic you took?

Those poor little Xs just don't stand a chance against us, Patrick. Give it up, girls! Hee-hee-hee!

Guy S.

500 plus 200 = 700. I'm not sure where the wrong addition comes in Guy? Tell them what I said when I saw said tree. Go on Guy, tell them. And the only magic moment for me was when I was in shock and pointed while exclaiming to everyone within, oh I dunno, say 100 miles, that you had 2 mimosa tree's and not 1.

You've done more than anyone in our state to curtail the production of such species, yet you have one of the worst offenders on your land. It's documented as being an invasive species in zone 6a, and there you are in zone 5b. Winters are warmer.....???

I think the people who need to give it up, are the poor Y team members. They don't stand a chance against us far superior X's.

Oh and Patrick. The second tree is not a spawn of the first tree. It was given to Goey by a friend of his who's a past president of the Illinois Nurserymen's Association. So, I guess that makes it all right?

Here's 1 photo I took of the beast tree. I blacked out the face of the grower, but since you're so proud of it, perhaps I should post the original? I've also got a picture of the beast tree with a bloom. Wanna see that?

Thumbnail by terryr

And here, I'll go ahead and post the photo of the tree with it's bloom. Ain't life grand.....

Thumbnail by terryr

And here's a picture of Guy, with his face not blacked out, with the luverly second tree.

Now I suspect VV will come along and critique my photo taking abilities.......

Thumbnail by terryr

Oh my! T-shirt material. Loved the "Tender, very tender" caption on that second photo.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.