Hammerhead Worm (land planarian) (Bipalium kewense)

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thumbnail by DonnaA2Z
Cortland, NY

The flatworm in this photo is actually Bipalium vagum and not B. kewense. Although B. vagum was first named based on specimens from Bermuda, the animal probably has its origins in Asia. It has been reported from Texas and Florida in the US and feeds on snails and slugs.

Germantown, WI

We live just north of Milwaukee, WI in the village of Germantown. I just found this laying in the closet of our Master Bedroom, shortly after the dog came in with mudy paws, shortly after it just rained. I see that it is commonly found in Texas and Florida and would expect to maybe find it here in the summer when the climate is similar to theirs, but it is almost October. Is it common for this region? I have attached an image of the beast. You will have to excuse the photo. As I tried to place the creature on the paper for a photo and spread him out, his/her (have not yet determined sex) head fell off.

Thumbnail by rmarciniak
Lake Worth, FL

We live in south Florida. We sometims see these on our side walk,never knew what they were called. We thought that WE named them hammerhead worms !!

Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Stumbled on the subject of the Hammerhead worm in forums on dg and read many-many-many of them, but I don't remember any of them mentioning them lengthening themselves to a fabulouse length and becoming thin as a fine thread. The ones I were confronted with at my previous home on Lake Palestine near Tyler Texas, gave me night-mares as I could forsee them being able to gain access to ANY place they chose and I just could not stand the idea they could just turn into threads and get around any barrier to get into my house. I wonder if any of you who have written about them found that ability evident?????

I salted every one I found. I respect most all things of nature and do not kill spiders, snakes; only those who are in competition for my plants, but these I found completely repulsive.

Toccoa, GA

I'm a country girl, age 61, and several months ago discovered my "first" hammerhead worm under an old barrel at an older home that my husband and I moved to near Toccoa, GA. It was about 14 inches long and freaked me out as it looks like half snake, half tape worm! Yuck! My son and I trapped it in a glass jar to observe, but it was able to climb out in no time and we had to confine the alien quickly with a lid. This past week I found a second worm under a pot in my greenhouse about 3 inches long, and yesterday a third one under a flower pot in the yard only about 1 inch long. Thanks for the info on how to destroy them. Knowing they eat earthworms, I will destroy all of these repulsive creatures that I encounter--and they will definitely NOT get a chance to subdivide and multiple!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.