Ewww: what is this gold fungus- like stuff on my oak tree?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Hmm. I tried to put all the pertinent stuff in the title. But the oak tree is abt 50 years old, huge, & has some similar sized oak firends in neighboring yards. In my yard, it's right next to some elderly pines. I noticed last year that this branch was pretty bare, but as it hangs over a neighbor's fence & yard, I thought I'd wait & see. Anybody know what this might be? If so, on a scale of 1 to 10, how much trouble is my oak tree in? (10 being encase it in plastic, have it cut down & hauled away & have yard decontaminated & all other plants & trees removed.)

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Here's another picture. It really does have a glow abt it.

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Are there many (any) leaves on this branch? It looks like a low, old dead branch. Are more branches dead if this one is? I heat with wood and this looks typical. If the branch is dead/dying just cut the branch off and the tree should be fine.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Stelco. I had noticed some brown patches & what looked like insect damage on the leaves earlier this week, but had not been out at a time when I could really try & observe the whole tree. Plus I've never been the owner of a 50 year old oak tree before, so I'm trying to be careful abt it.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Can you get a bit closer? On first glance it kinda looks like lichen.

X

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I'll try tomorrow to get a closer picture. Here's another one from the first attempts.

Thumbnail by goshsmom
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Is the rest of the tree OK? If it is only affecting this one branch, perhaps removal of the branch is in order. You are in Ohio, and are subject to things we may not share.... But - if it were my 50 year old oak tree, I would call an arborist - now. This may become systemic and then you lose the whole tree.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Lichen usually grows on the north side of a tree .. which way is it facing?

X

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

I think you're thinking of moss...

Is it flat, sunken, raised?

Pittsboro, NC(Zone 7a)

It looks more like a fungus to me.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/paragyrodon_sphaerosporus.html

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/daedaleopsis_confragosa.html

Looking at the leaves in the first pic, it appears that you have one of the oaks that may be affected by a disease called "sudden oak death". Check this out and see if it applies:

http://nature.berkeley.edu/comtf/html/plant_symptoms.html

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Folks, thanks for keeping this thread going. I was sick myself & didn't get on the puter for a few days--- now we've had over 2 inches of rain in the last 24 hours (so no new pictures). If I didn't have mushrooms before this, I sure will now.
I had noticed the spots on the leaves, but didn't know how significant they were. I did look at the links y'all posted. Nothing seems to fit exactly yet. I may call in an arborist. Let me get better pictures first. Many thanks!

Bulls Gap, TN(Zone 6a)

I was surfing the web for lichen id's on my own trees and found this. The caption under the photo:

"A species of Acarospora or Pleopsidium (one of the "gold cobblestone lichens") ... No scientist has determined the correct name for this lichen as yet."

The web site: [http://www.lichen.com/bigpix/Aevolutum.html]

Could this be your "gold fungus"?

Laura

This message was edited Sep 13, 2006 10:26 AM

Thumbnail by Echo4u
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

keep going-- pictures ahead

This message was edited Sep 18, 2006 7:26 PM

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

just a couple more- keep going!

This message was edited Sep 18, 2006 7:26 PM

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Oak leaves:

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

keep going-- pictures ahead

This message was edited Sep 18, 2006 7:24 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

All righty, my computer and Dave's server are apparently not on speaking terms, BUT, if you go to this link
http://community.webshots.com/user/pshobson
I've posted my sick tree and leaves pictures at my webshots account. Go to the album called My Sickly Garden. (You can look at the other ones, too, if you want to-- dead ancestors, past gardens, old steel mill pictures).

Thanks for the help!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

One more try?

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

ANd another picture of the leaves:

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

And another fabulous view of the goldish gunk:

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

That gold stuff looks like lichen to me. I think the leaf thing is a coincidence. Why don't you call your County Extension Office and see what they have to say.

X

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Good idea, X. We have urban foresters here in Cincinnati, too, but I'm not sure if they deal with anything other than city trees & parks. Maybe I'll call them both & find out.
Many thanks, folks!
goshsmom

Peoria, IL

I have several (more than I can count) old oak trees.

Lichen does grow on them, but the pictures you posted look more like an orange fungus that I commonly see on decaying wood.

Check with your arborist to make sure your tree is healthy. And then remove the dead and dying branch. Its not uncommon for large oak trees to loose whole limbs - however you do want to make sure that this limb dying is not a sign of something wrong with the entire tree.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Just to wrap this up: urban forester thinks this is a dead branch that devoped a fungus as part of the natural process of decay, rather than an opportunistic fungus that's going to take over the whole tree. Yay!!!
Plus he was spectacularly nice & helpful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.