Tropical Storm Florence

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Since Pati is out of commission, I thought I'd start this one... Florence looks like it could get big and appears to be heading for the Atlantic coast (as opposed to the Gulf, that is.) It's very early to say for sure, of course. Here is a link to the NOAA page:http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/144631.shtml?3day

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I saw a comment on http://www.accuweather.com that suggested it was going to weaken after it hit some fronts in the water...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Weakening would be good. :-)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Marylyn. I just finally had time to check NOAA, glad you started the thread. Man, She's a BIG sucker, hope it weakens.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Weakening would be good... we are still soaked from Ernesto - and we did not get the real heavy stuff.

5 PM NOAA update...

Quoting:
GLOBAL MODELS AGREE ON DEVELOPING A LARGE ANTICYCLONE OVER FLORENCE IN THREE DAYS OR SO AND THE OFFICIAL FORECAST FOLLOWS A BLEND OF THE SHIPS AND GFDL GUIDANCE IN MAKING FLORENCE A MAJOR HURRICANE. TOWARD THE END OF THE FORECAST PERIOD...GUIDANCE IS ALSO IN GOOD AGREEMENT THAT FLORENCE...ALREADY A LARGE CYCLONE...WILL GET EVEN LARGER.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

If it would just spin itself out in the Atlantic and not make landfall, I wouldn't care how big it got... It does look like it is going to hook north, but we had one last year that did that and just made a big circle and came back to the coast. I wouldn't plan a vacation to Bermuda in the next week as it is...

It's sure intefering with my brother's motorcycle trip from Jacksonville to here.

I'm betting (unfortunately) that New England gets hard hit with at least rain once again. That entire part of the east coast hasn't seen a hurricane in many years, and probably are ill prepared.

5 pm update

Quoting:
FLORENCE REMAINS AN UNUSUALLY LARGE...NOW MORE THAN 900 NMI
DIAMETER... NON-CLASSICAL TROPICAL CYCLONE.

Man, that's one BIG storm!

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

I have checked this one one EUMETSAT and she had a smaller faster going tropical storm chase her and that one showed a really HOT storm. No wonder Florens grew so much as they two now have emerged into one.
STAY SAFE
Janett

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Here's a 5 day prediction.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/srh/tropicalwx/images/AL0606W5.GIF

Yeah, I hoped she was gonna take a sea voyage!

Well, Florence is officially a Hurricane, Cat 1. Doesn't look like anything but Bermuda will get hit.

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

My brother and his family left on a cruise given to them by the "make a wish" foundation. They left out of Baltimore today and are headed for Burmuda. As of last night, they called and said it's still a "go". Hope things calm down and they get to enjoy Burmuda once they get there!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I hope so, too, nminmd!!

It's moving fairly quickly so maybe they will get to enjoy Bermuda!

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Found out later today--the trip was put on hold! The cruise line experienced rudder problems and they wouldn't be able to leave until Monday at midnight. The ship would not have been able to get to Burmuda, so the cruise would have been an out and back trip. Fortunately, they were able to re-schedule!

I hope everyone on the island stays safe. Our thoughts and prayers are with them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.