Burnt Leaves on Seiryu JM

Torrington, CT

I purchased a potted Seiryu in April and plan to use it as a patio tree. It was growing nicely until August. Since then, some - but not all - of the new growth leaves seem to be burning up. I haven't added fertilizer and it's location is in a spot with morning and late afternoon sun (shaded from 2 pm - 5 pm). The remainder of the tree remains green. What can I do? Any recommendations for protecting the container over the winter? I'm in Zone 5b and don't have an interior shelter to keep the tree protected and still get winter sun.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

It is most likely too much water ...and many of my planted out ones have similar problems with new growth since it's been cooler and wet...I would become more concerned if the older leaves start drying up ...As far as winter you DON'T need winter "sun" ...most folks put their potted trees in an unheateted garage or out building AWAY from windows til spring watering maybe once a month at most ...A sheltered pourch can also be used if out of the wind . You may eventually have problems moving your sierru since they are pretty fast growers and can become big even in your area and you will most likely have to up the pot size regularly ..you will probably want to keep it trimed each year in late fall ( not this year if your having problems). I would NOT consider a sierru an "ideal" container tree...but I assume with proper care it can be one... just wouldn't be my first choice so yearly pruning will be a must. Others here may have a differnt opinion or actual experience on the suitability of this tree for container growing that will hopefully contradict my feelings on this. David

Torrington, CT

David,

Thanks - we have gotten an extraordinary amount of rain this past summer in New England. While the surface soil seems dry, I'm afraid the drainage hole in the container may be too small, thus a possible pool at the base. After your comments about the Seiryu being a poor container tree, I'm rethinking that strategy and may find a happier place for this JM to grow elsewhere on my property.

Thanks again,
Dave

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I once bought a tree in July when almost all of the leaves were gone and it was fine. If the old leaves are fine and there are growth buds on the tree then you shouldn't have any problem. I concur with David about the Seiryu.
http://www.summerwindsca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.main

A 20 foot upright tree is hard to contain, even in a pot.

Torrington, CT

Understood - thanks! I originally thought this was going to be a much smaller tree. I've already found a nice place to plant it -- It'll have plenty of room to grow! Next time, I need to do better research (didn't have Dave's Garden for a reference before this purchase)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh, boy could we help you find a new tree or 12. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.