Herbal literature/mysteries

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Just wondering how many DGers who frequent the Herb forum have read the mystery series written by Susan Wittig Albert.
The heroine/sleuth in this series is a criminal defense attorney, named China Bayles, who gives up the corporate life in Houston to run an herb shop in the small fictional town of Pecan Springs. They are well written IMHO and have often kept me up past my bedtime to learn "who done it".

I've learned a lot of interesting herbal lore from reading these cottage cozies.

Eastern MA, MA

Hi garden_ mermaid, I have read most of them. This is a great series. I also find them hard to put them down when I start reading them. I have passed them on to girls I work with who also like mysteries and they have liked the series.I just purchased "Bloodroot" and "Indigo Dying". Have been busy outside in garden and I do not have much time to read in summer, so will read over winter. Thelma

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

YAY! I've read all the Diane Mott Davidson cozies and now I have a new author to look into! Next time I'm at Barnes and Noble I'll pick one up. I'm going to the library this afternoon; wonder if they'll have any. Cool.

It helps to read them in order if possible, as the relationships of the characters develop through the series. Thyme of Death is the first one, although I started with Witche's Bane. I'm waiting for Borders to get a copy of Love Lies Bleeding, since I just finished Rueful Death and don't want to move on to Chile Death until I get the one in the middle. Since you're in Texas, I'd love to here your opinion of how she describes Texas landscapes and culture in her books.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

YeGads. A new one ~ Thank you.. pod

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Would you believe the library in Lumberton, Texas, has one! Well, I have it now. "Dilly of a Death" I think is the title. Started it last night, and it was hard to put down. Kinda cool when you've been there, too -- Seguin, I mean.

Dilly is one of the more recent books in the series.

Here is the author's website with some interesting herbal lore. Check out the Herbal Book of Days excerpts:

http://www.mysterypartners.com/index.html

Here are recipes for the some of the dishes/items that China serves or refers to in the storylines:
http://www.mysterypartners.com/China/

http://www.mysterypartners.com/China/TeaRoom/

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Love them! Just read a slew of them. Can't wait to make some chili using her recipes. Have to check out more of them. Makes me want to move out to TX.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, it's one of the later ones, and I hate that because she makes vague references, and now when I read the earlier ones I'll know what's going on. Ah, well.

bbinnj -- come on down, pardner! Boy howdy.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

I want to retire out west somewhere (but NOT CA, I left there TWICE). Was thinking Santa Fe or Los Alamos, but who knows? Maybe the hill country after all.

I actually picked all my sweet lavender blooms and hung them in a closet to dry after re-reading Lavender Lies!

California twice? Just to make sure you didn't like it? Once you get Texas mud between your toes, you'll never leave.

I'll be expecting you Texans to let me know if the author's descriptions of Texas small town culture are "true". :-)

In the meantime I need to track down the recipe for Lemon Verbena scones.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Quote: California twice? Just to make sure you didn't like it?
Podster, the first time I was dragged out there the middle of my junior year of high school, the worst time in a teen's life to move anywhere (and I hated it, left as soon as I could for college back east). The second time I moved there was voluntary because I was accepted by Stanford for grad school, then wanted to work in the pharmaceutical industry, which means NJ by and large. So here I am.

New Jersey? What part of Texas is that in?!!

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Further east than you are, Podster ! I'll skip the mud though ;>D
I'm planning to make a bunch of the recipes, starting with chili. No beans. DH's digestive tract will thank me.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Oh no!Just what I need,another writer to add to the stacks of books I have waiting to be read.These books sound great.

The main reason I'm posting to this thread is to let you know about www.PaperBackSwap.com

I found this site from another DGers posting last year and I have used it alot.I looked up Susan Wittig Albert and all her books are listed but none available right now.So I put them on my wish list.This is a great way for bookaholics like me to get lots of books and spend minimum.

Nancy

I almost forgot.If you sign up tell them you were refered by aricben@sc.rr.com and I will get a book credit.

Eastern MA, MA

Thank You Nancy for sharing the info on this site.I love to read and like to frequent a couple local hand it back stores where I receive credit for turning in books to purchase new used ones. Many times they don't have books I'm looking for. Sometimes I am lucky on Amazon web site in purchasing used books. Thelma

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm about halfway through "Dilly of a Death" (I only get the chance to read for pleasure right before bed and I can't keep my eyes open for long by that time) and it's good! Very glad the library had it. And I've ordered another on Amazon.

Another series I really love is the Rabbi Small mysteries (eg. Wednesday the Rabbi Got Wet). Not widely available anymore, but can be found. Diane Mott Davidson's are great (some exceptional recipes thanks to Goldie the Caterer) and -- the ultimate -- P.D. James. Not as "cozy" as the others, much truer to life. But excellent reading.

Great site! I have a ton of paperbacks overflowing the shelves that I need to pass on, including all the Susan Wittig Albert China Bayles mysteries up to Chile Death. I still need to read that one and Loves Lies Bleeding, which preceeds it. I love the way she works the herbs into the clues!

Also have most of Earlene Fowler's Benni Harper mysteries. Another "older" series, but very good, especially if you've ever lived on or near ranches and like quilts. Each book is named for a patchwork quilt pattern. This series is set in San Luis Obispo (disguised as San Celina) county in the '90s. I lived there in the 80's so it was fun to see how she semi-disguised the town.
http://www.earlenefowler.com/Bio.html

Our local second hand book shop doesn't carry "cozies", so the only mysteries I find there are the clinically gruesome ones, unlike PD James, who is clinically accurate but not grotesque (meaning I won't have nightmares from reading it).

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I know what you mean, g_m! I tried to read Patricial Cornwell, who is a very good writer, but it's just too true to life. There's enough of that on the news. I want clever and satisfying, not something that makes me want to take my grandchildren and move to somewhere no one can find us.

My interest in ornamental gourds was partially sparked by a cozy mysteries series. I can't remember the author (sorry) but the one I read was called "The Gourdmother." Not as good as the Davidson or Wettig series IMHO, but a nice read.

ooohhh, a "Gourdmother"!!! Now I'm going to have to try to find that one. Love the name. LOL!

I gave up on Patricia Cornwall. Fortunately my DH is in agreement with me on this aspect of books and movies. He's a combat vet. I used to work ER. Between us we've seen enough mangled bodies that we don't find books, movies or TV shows with them entertaining. Just give us a peaceful garden where we can celebrate life.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I haven't watched a single episode of CSI or the like yet -- nor do I plan to. Sometimes I watch the news and just go out on the back porch and sit. So much nicer. Not that I don't do my bit, or care about what's happening in the world. I just don't want to multiply it by giving any "entertainment" time to it.

Gardening is so much more productive, for the earth as well as the body and soul. If I feel the need for any violence, I'll squash some aphids.

OK, I admit I've had a few aggressive moments with an occasional cucumber beetle...........and I wish them well on their journey and apologize for having to squish them.
Just another gardener talking to the plants.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

I gave up on Patricia Cornwall. Anyone read JJ Jance's Johanna Brady series set in Cochise County, AZ?

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I've never read JJJ. Any good? Maybe they'll have one at the library, and when I turn in the Wettig and the James Lee Burke (which is really borderline for "reality" but I love his philosophical bits) I'll try a Jance. I liked the first few Tony Hillermans as well.

mermaid
If you join paper back swap and list your Susan Wittig Albert books then you might be sending one to me.I put it on my wish list.

I also love PD James.

downscale - I'll be reading the paperback site more thoroughly in the next day or two.
I have alot of paperbacks piling up. My DH would be happy to see them move on to new readers!

Who is PD James? Seems I know the author for that pen name...

Here is Random House publisher's "official" website for the author. She actually worked in forensics at one point, which is why she is so good with the details.
Quite a few of her books have come to life on the PBS Mystery series.

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/pdjames/

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi Brigidlilly,
JA Jance write 2 series, one about JP Beaumont, a Seattle detective, and the other set in Bisbee, AZ about Johanna Brady, the sheriff of Cochise County. I like the Johanna Brady series better, just my opinion.

Ok Nancy, I've joined PaperbackSwap and placed your email address in the reference box. Hopefully you'll get an extra credit. I've also listed all the China Bayle mystery books that I can readily lay my hands on in the house, as well as the Earlene Fowler ones. There are a few more here somewhere........

Thanks
Yes I did get the credit.I hope that your books will be requested soon so that you can start orderingThe variety of books is amazing. I have gotten books that I really didn't think I would be able to find.You can't beat the cost.

Once again the site was recommended by another DGer last year.Can't remember who.

I ordered the first of the Susan Wittig Albert books.If I like it I will order the rest in order.

Nancy

Two of my books were requested. I have them wrapped and ready to mail out with tomorrow's post. I've requested the next two books in the China Bayles series, Lavendar Lies and Mistletoe Man. I'm currently reading Love Lies Bleeding and have Chile Death on hand.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi Nancy, I too joined the PB Swap, I referred you, and 3 of my books were requested instyantly, must have been on wishlists.
My DH will be so thrilled once he notices that the piles of PBs are disappearing.....
If they'd get textbooks in, what a fortune everyone would save!!!!

I love the idea of swaps.It isn't very good for business but it is really good for the budget and the environment.

PBS also has a CD swap (I have never done it)

I read an article in the New York Times about people holding swaps for expensive clothes.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I hate to sound like this, but WHEN I WAS A YOUNG'N paperbacks were 35 cents. I know there's no way they could make a profit with that price, but do they really expect people to pay $8 for them? I guess so, since people (including me) do it. If people would trade instead of buy new, they'd have to rethink their marketing.

I now view the PaperbackSwap (PBS)as a sort of online library, except you don't have to "return" the book unless you want to. You'd be surprised how many paperback books wind up in the paper recycling bins. Our local library rarely takes used books anymore. They did setup few racks in the lobby where patrons can leave or take trade paperbacks, but it doesn't really have a good selection. I visit our used bookstores periodically, but again, the selection just isn't what I want. They have limited hours for buying back the books as well.

I'll still be buying new books from the store, just not as frequently. If I get hooked on a new series via PBS, I may buy the next volume at the store rather than wait for the mail. :-}

LOL please don't think that I don't BUY any books.My two obsessions;books and plants.

obsessions? books, plants, fabric, yarn&knitting paraphenalia, cookware.........don't get me started.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.