Cabbage

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Does anyone know of a cabbage plant that lives in Zone 9 (maybe winter grown)? I am trying to attract butterflies that are not as common in our area.

Thanks,

Chuck

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Chuck, what type of butterflies are you trying to attract that need a cabbage?

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Dear Garden Mermaid (what a pretty user ID),

There are many, many butterflies found in Southwestern Riverside County that are listed in "Butterflies through Binoculars, The West," by Jeffrey Glassberg that are partial to crucifers (I hope I am right that cabbage is a crucifer). The butterfly I would most like to attract is the Desert Orangelip butterfly (Anthocharis cethura). Also, I would like to attract Sara Orangetip butterfly (Anthocharis sara) and Spring White butterfly (Pontia sisymbrii).

If I am wrong and these do not eat cabbage. Please tell me. I would rather find out now than a couple of years down the line. Also if any of these are invasive, please let me know.

Have a very good day!

Thanks,

Chuck

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

While cabbage falls under the general category " Crucifers" , the only butterfly that I know that likes them is the adult form of the cabbage worm. The larvae feed on cabbage and similar Brassicas. Very undesirable critters. Adult butterflies are usually nectar feeders, if you just want to attract those butterflies, then an annual flowering brassica like mustard, turnip, broccoli may be more desirable.

one source lists preferred souces for Anthocharis cethura :Caterpillar hosts: A number of mustard species (Brassicaceae) including tansy mustard, jewelflower, and tumble mustard.
Anthocharis sara; Food plants: Native mustards
Pontia sisymbrii; Caterpillar hosts: Plants in the mustard family (Brassicaceae) including hedge mustard (Sisymbrium), rock cresses (Arabis), and tansy-mustard (Descurainia) species.

You might also want to contact our local chapter of the California Native Plant Society and see what type of native plants are preferred by the species you want to attract. If you can't get the native plant, some of the plants in FarmerDill's list might be a close alternative.
http://www.cnps.org/index.htm

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Dear Garden Mermaid,

I tried contacting our local chapter of the California Native Plant Society and I found out they have no contact email addresses. All they have to get in touch with them is a member of the board's telephone number.

I will try asking the main body of CNPS.

Dear Farmerdill,

Your list is just what I was looking for. I will surf the web to see which of these plants grow in Southern California and whether or not they are winter plants.

Thanks to both of you very much!!,

Chuck

Had another idea for your butterfly project Chuck.
I remember visiting some "butterfly houses" at a variety of zoos. You may be able to get some information/assistance from "professional butterfly keepers".

http://butterflywebsite.com/gardens/index.cfm#usa

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Dear Garden Mermaid,

Thanks! I never knew this list existed. When it gets a little later in the day, I will try contacting some of these professional butterfly raisers.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.