Problem with hibiscus

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I live on the Oregon Coast, near Gold Beach. I purchased 3 large hardy hibiscus in Eugene. They were just beautiful. Now they look awful and though they have buds the leaves are all limp and sad looking. There are no bugs, gets regular water, they are in 5 gallon pots. Is it too cold and damp here on the coast to grow them? I have not seen any in this area.
Rebecca

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Check the bark and between the stems for scale bugs. That's just what mine did, and I treated them with Bayer's Shrub and Tree drench, and they were all dead the next day. Then, it rained and washed them all off the plants - that was in May, and they are still clean - this product is a MUST HAVE!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I visited that area and it can be coolish during summer. Even here they need a hotspot to bloom. Find a place where they get reflected sun/heat to push them.

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I will check the plants for scale, I did look and didn't see any bugs, but was looking for bugs, not scale. And thanks for the info on Bayers, I will get some anyway. I did get some scale on some cuphea, the cute little bat faced one and I lost them. I am hoping its not too cold here, I do have the hibiscus in the warmest spot here. Maybe thats why I don't see any growing here, just too cold. I got some crepe myrtle, people told me that we could not grow them here because of the dampness and they are prone to mildew. So I got some dwarf ones that are resistive to mildew, now I am hearing we don't get enough heat for them to bloom. And I did not get blooms this year but the plants are very healthy.
Rebecca

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I used to have a Crepe Myrtle that would bloom the very last week of summer and the blooms would get soaked the following week when it openned. If they look good, perfect. Just a thought, a light layer of some kinda small rocks that absorb heat or reflect it might help. It works with Agaves, Yucca, etc.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

My crepe myrtles have done quite well in zone 7b for several years now. Provide excellent drainage - never had any insect problems or foliar diseases, and flower nicely each year.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Katye, on the coast it's not the minimum temps but the lack of summer heat buildup that make it hard to grow some heat-loving plants. Constant cool breezes from the ocean keep temperatures moderate.

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

growin, that is encouraging. I will try some black rocks at the base. I should be happy with all the terrific things that do really well here, but of course, I have to try and have everything. And sometimes finding a plant with nice habits that others in this area don't grow, well its just a nice challage to try it!
Rebecca

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

A challenge is good. I was going to suggest old tires that are used to grow great tomatoes but figured you probably wouldn't go for that. I was also thinkin' about some large boulders that slow the air around the plants so there's a bit of heat buildup. My Myrtle lasted for years but it was funny how it bloomed right when the rains started again.

Shelton, WA(Zone 8a)

Hey, if you want some old tires I'm the person to see!!! Piles of the hummers were left on the property we bought here last year. :-)

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Growin - I have the exact same problem with deficient heat units - I am on the side of a hill & get constant breeze/wind from the west. I am outside Seattle about 15 minutes.
I planted my Crepe Myrtles in the hottest most protected place on my property & despite the cooler spring/summer weather we typically have, they have survived & are doing well. I like to push the zone thing a bit, & hope for the best. I would not discourage anyone from growing CM's - it's definately worth a try.

Centralia, WA

Can anyone help me. I have bought two Blue Satin Hybiscus, or Rose of Sharon. One was doing fine, but son mowed over it in Spring. Then 2nd one I planted in pot. It did fine, but each time I put it out on my deck, which gets sun and shade, the leaves developed a whiteish cast after just one day. First time a nursery here said it might be mold if I got the leaves wet and to remove them all. This was over the phone, then it grew back beautiful green leaves and I put it out again and it did the same thing. I was very careful not to get water on leaves. Boo Hoo! I think it has bit the dust!

My second question is about Lithodora, Grace Ward. I can't seem to keep them growning in a pot. Do they have to be transplanted right away? Am I giving them too much water, or too little. They look like they don't have enough water and are drying up, so I give them more, but only water about once a week. They just get more dried out and die. Any help available for them. I am half way between Seattle, WA and Portland, OR. (West side of Mtns.)

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

Well I think my hibiscus growing is over. I have checked around and found a few in the area, one is a huge tree in a very protected spot, south side and is blooming but really ugly. The foliage is just like mine. So that tells me why no one is growing them, the few that are here are doing very poorly.

Lithodora does not like a lot of water, I let mine dry out between sparse watering. And it will do a ugly die back where the foliage gets black and dies. Sometimes it will kill the whole plant. With these the best thing is to know some will die for no good reason, right next to some doing great. Just replace the dead ones and they are very nice. Not too much water, that will kill them. They do best on a hill where the drainage it very good.
Rebecca

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.