New Hybrid very odd

Louisville, KY

This new seedling has really been interesting to watch. It is a hybrid between a dark leaf canna and a green leaf form and it really shows sometimes the leaves look dark other times they almost seem green. The flowers are just as unique coming out light pink color and turning yellow with age. Very very odd it seems they turn yellow over night no orange in between. I thought many of you would find this very interesting.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

That really is pretty... I love the idea of such a complete color change. It must be absolutely amazing to walk around your place with all the new and beautiful cannas.

Tammie

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

The more unique they are the better I say!!!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I find it very interesting, very cool!

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

I LIKE!

The overnight color-change is special. Presto chango!

Robert.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Wow! Cool, I do like that.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

That is pretty .. what have your overnight temps been? I have found in some flowers, like morning glory and brugmansia, the warmer the temps overnight the darker the colors and vice versa.

As I understand it, flower colors are controlled by enzymes and temperature affects how quickly they metabolize.

X

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

It certainly is pretty.

Augusta, GA

I'm a newbie with cannas, but that is the prettiest one I've ever seen! How tall is it? Let us know if and when it's available for trade.
thanks,
deb

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

the color change that is dictated by the temps seems to indicate it is a ...

Mood Canna!

... remember the mood rings!?

Tammie

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous Pink!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

nice foliage also

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I want one! That is one of the prettiest cannas I have ever seen. I love the pink/yellow combo too and those leaves are to die for.

Thank you for posting a beauty that I hope soon will be available for me to buy.
Lani

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow that is one great looking Canna. I would like to be in line behind Ponditis to buy one when available!! (I am usually just a lurker but I am really starting to need more canans)

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

bwilliams,
Your new seedling (a hybrid between a dark leaf canna and a green leaf form and it really shows sometimes the leaves look dark other times they almost seem green. The flowers are just as unique coming out light pink color and turning yellow with age.)
Just beautiful, really nice color. Reminds me, a little, of Paul Hicks "Pixie" canna. Both have such refreshing colors. Serene. Romantic. Love the dark leaves contrasting the beautiful flowers. ~~~ Carol

Louisville, KY

Thank you I am planning on releasing late summer next year if all goes well. I have the one clump now and I hope to plant a few roles of them next season for propagating.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

How Tall does it Get? Thanks Paul

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It's very beautiful!

Louisville, KY

seems to get around 4 to 5 feet tall it may reach 6 ft but I doubt it. The flowers are held high and self clean well it is superior to most cannas I breed.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I think it's a winner! You should be very proud.

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

How will we know when it's available and what the name will be?

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

I am just lurking here, but had to say that this is just a lovely plant. I hope you name it and make it available!

Regards,
Laura

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.