A prelude to the fall colours

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

This past week my Omure Yama has just started to take on the first tints of fall colour. It is always the first to colour up for me. Most of the others won't show fall colours for another month.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful! My sango kaku is yellowing up with beautiful red edges to the leaves. I'll have to take a photo.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Todd my omur has NOT started changing yet but my sango is as has almost everyone elses that has posted on varias sites I've visited ...many have been concerned about the early turning of this tree some even started last month...it seems to have been a rough summer for the sango most everywhere ...although yours is more likely "natural" from being so far north ...has it changed ( the sango) this early before??? It will be interesting to see how many caput through the winter or if this is just an odd blip..David

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Sango Kaku is one of the JM that will not survive our climate. That one and the variegated forms are useless here. Only the green and red-leaved forms thrive and I've never known a dissectum type to die here but some reason the variegated and Sango seem to have a terrible time.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

OOOOPPPS I thought Doss's post was yours.... I must be more awake before reading posts ;>) in rereading I must have REALLY been asleep!!!sorry Todd ...David

South San Francisco, CA

Our Kihachijos are starting to turn at the nursery. A real nice contrast with the bright reds and greens and nuttin' in between! I'll try and get some pics tomorrow to post...

Some Sangos starting to fade next to everyone else that's pushing late summer growth? Go figure. Let's just write-off 2006 and return to a normal year in 2007, shall we?

Oh, and just for kicks - here's my Viridis a week ago (posted this pic in another thread)

Thumbnail by nurserydude
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Aconitifolium beginning it's season.

Crimson Queen is almost naked here. It's turning out to be a very early fall.

Thumbnail by doss
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is the JM I am fond of. I like how the branches make shelves.

Debnes

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

One of my seedlings is starting to colour up. The spring leaves are brick-red, summer foliage dark green and in a few weeks it will be blazing scarlet.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Woodstock, GA(Zone 7b)

sorry, posted in wrong place!

This message was edited Sep 25, 2006 11:03 PM

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Here is 'Aka Shigatatsu Sawa' today. Among my JM, this one is currently the best for fall colour (some haven't even started yet!)

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Todd..what gorgeous color...The red leaves really pop among the greens, and especially when flowering starts to taper off. Nice plants!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Omure yama is starting to contrast nicely with the azaleas.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful Todd - That's what we grow them for, right?

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Gorgeous! Post a few more as it goes, please! I am close to deciding where to plant mine, and I am curious about the colors as the spot I have in mind was originally planned for a weeping cherry.

Laura

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.