Silly Asparagus 'Meyer's' question...

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Hi Fern Mavens,

Silly question here. I was digging in my planter about 5' from my large Asparagus 'Meyers' (Asparagus densiflorus 'Meyersii') and came across several long roots with little tubers attached. Many of the tubers have a decent set of roots. I found this site (see link, last paragraph) saying "The plants have extensive root systems with fairly large tubers, which are used in nature to provide food during long periods of drought in summer. They can be readily propagated by separating the tubers in fairly large clumps,..."

Have any of you done this? How many tubers per root section do you think? I thought I would give it a try. Thanks for any help you can give me!

http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantab/asparagdens.htm

K

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

I have only divided a fern asparagus by sawing it into four or so chunks and potting each up seperately. Each clump had some of the tubers.

I have never pulled out just trhe tubers to try to start more from them. Is that more what you want to do?

PS Did you know that "Asparagus Fern" isn't a fern at all? It's just a step away from the vegetable asparagus. Isn't that a kicker?!

Robert.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi K! We haven't been hiding out in the same corners. Why don't you try it? I love these plants - they grow under almost every condition in my yard be it full shade or sun, dry or wet. Let us know if it works.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Hi Doss! Long time no hear!

Ok, I wrapped 2 long roots with tubers attached into a "color pot" and covered them lightly with nice soil. They are in a warm place and nice and moist. We'll see! I'll post here if I get anything other than rotten tubers, LOL!

K

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sounds like a fun experiment!

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

(they're only fun if they work...LOL)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That's certainly when they are MOST fun. LOL Otherwise you end up with another pile of dead dirt.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.