squirrel ruined wisteria

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

A squirrel or two, has literally ruined my friends wisteria in the process of building nests. It is amazing how much foliage is left on the ground after they have taken what they need. This plant covered an area of 4 x 5 as a shade from late pm sun and that is gone plus some on the other side of corner. I sprayed a tabasco sauce solution on the plant a few days ago but to no avail. Time to call in the calvary but what calvary? There is a cat but he seems to have made peace w/ the critter. Maybe rent a dog for a week or so?

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Does you friend have a place to setup an owl house?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

owl house for REAL owls? I will have to research such a thing as an owl house and get back to you. thanks.

Here are some links that might help:

http://www.owlpages.com/links.php?cat=Owls-Nest+Boxes

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

thank you g_mermaid. I will give this to the wisteria's owner. Last night a friend of our son's dropped by w/ his dog. This dog, rescued from the dog pound, is the kind used on farms for things including hunting down rodents. The owl sounds better then getting a dog! again, thank you.

Dogs can be great companions! They do need your time though. It's like having a permanent 5 year old child. LOL!
Seriously though, the terrier breeds are rodent catching dogs. My mom's Westie went nuts over the squirrels, although we didn't want her to actually catch any. You don't know if the squirrels are carrying anthing that might make the dog sick.

We have a horned owl resident in a tree at our community gardens. I thought I was witnessing a pigeon startled out of the tree at dusk until I saw the wing span - I'm guessing about 4-5 feet across. It was a very impressive sight! Anyway, we think this is why we haven't had any problems with squirrels in our gardens.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Rat poison .. works wonders.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

Owls. I definitely need owls.

Pittsboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I have 2 rat terrier (sometimes called "feists") mixes, and the younger one is a crackerjack squirrel chaser! He lives for the times the little varmits get into the bird feeder by the back porch - the chase is on! Of course, he will chase anything that moves, including bugs. LOL

Have you tried the peppermint oil solution from the chipmunk and mole threads?

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/627924/

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

garden_m, I will check that out. thank you.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Chapter 2: the wisteria is almost gone due to the squirrel(s). But yesterday AM my friend walked outside and her cat (she assumed from this problem he had retired from hunting)sat on her sidewalk with 3 dead squirrels. I bet he (cat)negotiated and finally drew his line in the sand.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.