leaf chopper / chipper shredder

Louisville, TN(Zone 7a)

i want to purchase a leaf shredder for this fall, maybe a combo one that will chip small limbs etc too. Has anyone got any info on one you may have purchased or know about? I want a good one.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

We have a Simplicity 8 HP chipper/shredder. It will take up to 3" limbs and do leaves also. It will even do large juicy green weeds and grasses. It is pretty easy to start too. It has good size wheels for easy moving. We are well pleased with it. We've had it about 4 years. Chipped up much of a 50+ year old maple tree last year.

I hope this helped you.

Louisville, TN(Zone 7a)

did you mail order it or buy it locally? does it take up alot of space?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

We have one -- it is very heavy and does take up space. If you just need to shred leaves, don't buy a chipper. . . . .

Louisville, TN(Zone 7a)

i think i would like the option to shred small limbs, moreso bush limbs than trees, wouldn't I?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Jansing,

I used to rent one about 8 times a year and we finally decided to buy it right from the rental place. (It wasn't the rental that was killing us, it was the delivery fee!) It was a Billy Goat and was wonderful except one teeny tiny thing: I couldn't start it by myself! It had one of those pull -thingies and I simply didn't have the strength to pull that pup and start the daggone thing!

Not sure this helps, but my 2¢ worth.
Suzy

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

What do you recommend for shredding leaves? Do they clog up a shredder or is it just overkill?

Peoria, IL

I use a mulching lawn mower to shred leaves.

I will run the leaves over once or twice with the mulch attachment on the mower. After a couple mulch passes, then I run them over with the bagger on - the bag fills with shredded leaves and then I spread the shreddings on my flower beds, put them on the compost pile or store them in bags next to the compost pile.

Sometimes I will use a blower to get the leaves stacked in one area before I mow them.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a related question... Would a leaf shredder (one of those light-duty machines) handle semi-woody stems? Specifically, I'm thinking of dead ginger leaves/stalks - we have a ton of overgrown gingers in the backyard that I regularly harvest for the pile, but chopping those suckers up with shears gets pretty cumbersome...

Louisville, TN(Zone 7a)

OK, it's time, I am going out today to see what is out there to buy, I should have already mail ordered the perfect one, but now is time to get started, will let you know what I find. I know Lowes has one in stock, don't know if it is any good though.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

We have a Toro leaf vacuum/shredder which is great for leaves. It won't do woody stems.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.