Anyone grow cape fuchsia phygelius?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I saw this plant in an episode of Gardener's Diary and just fell in love with it. The one they showed was Trewidden Pink. I saw another one called New Sensation. Just beautiful.

Are they hard to grow? Bloom for long? Some of the varieties are hardy to zone 7, which is pushing it a bit in my zone 6 garden, but I grow a lot of zone 7 plants in my garden in a bed that's protected. (Plant files on this one are again wrong - it's hardy to zone 7.

This is Trewidden Pink

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

And this is New Sensation

Thumbnail by hart
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Out here they're really easy and bloom for a long time, but my climate is so different than yours it's hard to say whether you'd have the same experience or not. There's also a nice yellow one called Moonraker that's very pretty. Do you find them at your local nurseries? They're everywhere at nurseries out here, so I would expect if they'd grow well for you some of your local nurseries would have them.

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

I have got some seeds coming in from the netherlands off this one, It sure looks pretty.

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

Here in Oregon they do very well, only problem, they do too well. They put out runners everywhere. I have 2, one I think is called Devils Tears, bright pink with yellow interior, its beautiul and I have New Sensation. But make sure you like them, they take quite a bit of real estate. And they are very easy from seed.
Rebecca

Tuckahoe, NY

Phygelius grow fine here just north of NYC, they sometimes die out during really bad winters, but should be fine in Virginia. There is a large patch of it at Wave Hill garden in the Bronx that apparently has been there for quite a few years. If you are worried about the winter, mulching will protect the roots and stems. In very mild winters, the stems may survive and resprout, in colder winters the plant dies to the base. It starts flowering in June or July, and keeps going till frost. More sun will result in a happier plant and more flowers, though it will tolerate some shade. Does not like really dry soil.
Ernie

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I noticed on the "detailed" plant information on DG that there is a wide variety of tenderness among the cultivars -- Trewidden Pink, which you pictured, is much more tender that some other cultivars.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

As I mentioned, the plant profiles are wrong on that. Everywhere I see that variety listed they say it's hardy to zone 7. Weird Dude's Plant Zoo, which is in Staunton, not too far from here, says it's shrublike through zone 8 and treated as a perennial in zone 7. Staunton winters would probably be a little bit harsher than they are here. Even though they're south of there, the further south you go here in western Virginia, the higher the mountains and the colder the winters.

Not the first time I've found faulty info in the plant files. I always double check other sources.

Thanks everyone for your help. Ernie, if they do well in your area I would imagine they would be fine here.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ernie's post didn't mention Trewidden Pink, though, and it is possible that Trewidden Pink is in fact more tender. Does anyone know? It is very pretty.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think all the Phygelius cultivars are pretty similar. It's possible that one might be maybe a half zone hardier or less hardy than some of the others, but I'd be surprised to see significant differences.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Good grief, Happy. Not everything in the plant files is correct. I told you I checked a number of other sources.

Digging Dog
Phygelius ‘Trewidden Pink’
Blooms June–October.

Size: 3' high x 3' wide; hardy to zone 7.

Epic Plants
Phygelius
'Trewidden Pink'
Cape Fuchsia
Spacing: 45 cm (18")
Flowering Time: July-August
Hardy zone: 7-9

Weird Dude's Plant Zoo
Phygelius x 'Trewidden Pink' (Cape Fuchsia)* Gallon

Scrophulariaceae. Zones 7b-10. Alpine. Beautiful, tubular-shaped, two inch long flowers, pink with red throats, hang downward on thirty inch stems. Plants become somewhat pendulous over time and are great for hanging baskets or draping over rock walls. Shrub-like growth habit in Zones 8 to 10, treated as a perennial in Zone 7. Full sun, well-drained soil. Pine needle mulch in winter in Zone 7. Resents winter wet.

Sunny Border Nurseries
Phygelius ‘Trewidden Pink’
Zones 7 – 8 · Sun
Dusky pink flower buds open to cherry blooms with pale yellow throats.

Forest Farm
Phygelius rectus 'Trewidden Pink' PINK CAPE FUCHSIA
Description :
Dusky pink flwr buds (on a 3-4 x 3-4'shrub) open to cherry-pink blooms w a soft-yellow throat--Wow!...that's what the hummers say too! Sun/Med
Hardiness : 0 to +10F

The bed next to my kitchen gets a lot of winter protection. In fact, I don't even lift my dahlias and glads in the fall and they've been coming back up every year for 10 years. I imagine it will do well there even if we have a hard winter.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The only one I've grown is Winchester Fanfare...it has survived two winters in a cold frame in my zone 5b, but I've never attempted it out in the open. The coldframe gets as cold as outside but the snow provides insulation so it may be no colder than a zone 7 in the frame. Here's a close-up of Winchecter Fanfare..looks essentially orange until you look into the throat.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Hart: Thanks so much for all that research! They are really stunning plants -- I'd love to try them!

Where does the information in the DG plant files come from?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

DG members put all the info in, that's why it's sometimes a little off. If errors are found, you can report them to admins so over time hopefully most of the entries that are really off will get fixed. I still trust PF as a first place to get info, but if it's telling me something might be borderline in my zone I'll definitely go check some other places too to verify the info. But overall I still feel it's a good reference--honestly for most plants there's some conflicting info out there, so it's always a good practice to check a couple of sources.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I think the plant files are invaluable. It really helps to be able to read how a plant did for other people, especially when they provide details on propagation, growth, flowering, climate and so on.

But I never go by any single source of info for a plant, whether it's the plant files, a book, a seller, or another gardening site.

One reason why I asked for info here is I didn't get the answer to some of my questions when looking in plant files and other sources.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Hey, hart! We meet again over similar interests. I picked up two such discounted fuchsias at Lowe's a couple of weeks ago! Yellow Trumpet (Phygelius aequalis) and Devil's Tears (Phygelius rectus) Cape Fuchsia. The Yellow's tag indicates a cold hardiness to +10 degrees; the Devil, to 0 degrees.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Hello, 4paws. We are finally getting a Lowes in Woodstock, the nearest town to my hinterlands home. LOL The next nearest Lowes is about 45 miles away and I get there every now and then. Thanks for the info on hardiness.

It rarely gets as cold as 10 degrees here, we have had temps as low as 0 but I didn't lose anything that winter to the cold.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Ah, well, Lowe's is 200 miles from me, but I was in the "city" to have my car worked on (never brought it home from the hospital - yippeee!), and Lowe's Medford Garden Center is where I hang out. :-) Last time, I bought 4, 5 and 10 gallon spruce trees ($1.75 and 2.50 each!), about 12 gallon pots (at $2 or less) and uncounted 4" pots (at 10 - 50 cents each). The women who work there (Evelyn and Alaida, if you go there) are great about keeping my "rejects" until my car, which was a station wagon, was ready. That trip, I was there for two days, and finally the dealer let me take their small sedan home, because my car needed parts they didn't have. I still got all those plants home, and found room for a few more (along with the dog and my stuff!)

By the way, do not buy a 1999 Volvo V70 XC under any circumstances.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Okay, I won't. LOL

I've stopped at the Lowes in my hometown a couple of times when going to visit my mom and haven't found one single thing on clearance. They did have some nice large pots of perennials for $3.33. You got quite a haul!

4paws, would you like some cedar trees? I can send you some babies with the other stuff. They grow very fast.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Yes, I would, hart...and anything you pack in that box, I'll welcome gladly. I've been thinking about it.... :-)

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

hart, we've tried it twice here - cold Z6a, without success . Planted it in a protected spot as the hardiness was questionable for us but the microclimate we provided still wasn't enough to bring it through the winter. Of course that was about 5 yrs ago when the winters were a bit rougher. If we had planted it recently with the mild winters we've been experiencing, it might have survived. We've had other Z7 plants that have surprised us, but not this one - go figure!

This message was edited Sep 13, 2006 3:56 AM

Faversham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

We have it in our garden and it grows 3' tall and spreads 2'. One of our neighbours has it growing over 6'. Ours is orange/red and my fathers is yellow and grows the same as ours.

Steve

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

That picture of trewidden pink is absolutely gorgeous. I've just ordered one of these to store in the greenhouse, and plant in Spring.
I hope they do as well for me, as they done for most of you.
-T

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey hart, keep me in mind for cedar tree babies :o)

I will send you a dmail a little later about them,

Todd Just wanted to say your Winchester Fanfare is just beautiful.

Connie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.