What's Going On With My Tree? Help!

Bulls Gap, TN(Zone 6a)

I'm told that this is a Boxelder tree. The side closest to the house looks sooo sick! The leaves fall daily, they look dried out, brown and orange. There is new growth at the ends of the branches that is bright green and healthy looking. Don't know whether to spray for bugs, fungus, or what!! Can anyone help?

Thumbnail by Echo4u
Bulls Gap, TN(Zone 6a)

Another photo of the same problem, different tree. All our other trees are healthy...just these "Boxelders". Don't know if they are really boxelders either!

Thumbnail by Echo4u
Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Hi Echo4u, welcome to Daves Garden. The second picture is a dogwood and it looks right for this time of the year. Don't know about boxelders but there is a boxelder bug. Sheverne

Bulls Gap, TN(Zone 6a)

Thanks Sheverne for the tree id. I had no clue, but am delighted to find that we have one in the yard. It is located at the corner of the house where...if it blooms...you could smell it from the porch and the kitchen. What a treat.

I took a couple of close-up photos today to the sick looking Boxelder Tree. Maybe they are a little better than the first one I posted. I would hate to lose this tree...it provides an enormous amount of shade in our yard.

Thanks again,
Laura

Thumbnail by Echo4u
Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Laura, Hate to disappoint you but you won't be getting any sweet smell from the dogwood. They have no scent, but makes up for it in beauty. A lilac would smell really good, tho.. Right now our autumn clematis are blooming and scenting up the whole back yard. Deeelicious. Sheverne

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Laura, you might try posting this over on Trees & Shrubs too--lots of folks over there who may know what's going on.

Bulls Gap, TN(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info and help...I'll post in Trees & Shrubs and see what happens. Looks like I'm going to have to find some lilacs and clematis. Sheverne, do you have a photo of your clematis that you can post?
Thanks again,
Laura

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Looking around this year we've noticed a variety of trees with browning or dead leaves. I don't know why, but some are at factories where they are sprayed and cared for. I think it's just something happening this year.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The massive heat wave that spread across the country in July/August probably contributed

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Could be. Iowa has had timely rains and pretty good weather with not too many scorching days. It did get hot for a stretch tho.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.