My bald Adenium

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

How long again I should see new growth? Right now it has some red spikey thing on the tip of the bald one. I assume they are leaves to be. It has been bald for about a week now. I haven't water them again since the last time I drenched them (more or less 10 days ago). I was suggested not to water them until there are signs of new growth. But the caudex are firm, so I also assume no watering needed yet....
Let me know if my assumptions are wrong here, please.

Thumbnail by baileykat
Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

It looks healthy
If theres no leaves be patient
When they start growing again water well.
It may take up to 5 weeks depending on the plant and why it dropped its leaves

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Malestrom!

Tucson, AZ

It could also be going dormant early for winter. Mine stay leafless all winter long.

franj

It could be dormancy,
But Im not so sure dormancy occurs at the same time for all of the species.
I have 2 that like to bloom at Christmas time and remain bald for half the spring.
While 3 others are growing like gangbusters at the winters end
It threw me for a loop as I thought they all were dormant in the winter
However, They will all drop their leaves when the roots are messed with.
Time will tell, She may push new leaves right away.
I have heard of some succulents coming from Africa that act very strange until they adapt to the change of seasons here. I think it was Lithops I was reading about.
Im sure this applies to mature adeniums too
Although these arent mature and were raised here I do know they dont all behave the same for me. I have a fairly short growing season for them here in PA
Rot is a real big issue, so I always wait to water untill I see leaf growth pushing out.
I see you 2 are fairly close in climate so what Franj experiences may well mirror what you can expect. Im in zone 6b, quite q bit different from you 2
I am envious lol!!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Could you take a closer picture of the red spiky thing on the bald one? No promises, but it COULD be flowers coming! Red & spiky sure sounds like it could be! New leaves are usually folded together & don't really look spiky. Some of them flower when they come out of dormancy, or get repotted, or get a good drink after being dry, and some of them don't seem to EVER want to flower.

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's the red spikey things. Hope the picture isn't too blurry. Notice that in the smaller stem with 1 leaf there are red spikes too.

What do you think? I'm not expecting flowers since the adenium is still very small (6 inches the most), if it bloomed, the flower would probably be half as big as the plant...LOL.
As long as it stays alive, I'll be a happy camper.

Thanks !!!!

Thumbnail by baileykat
Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Just bumping this up. Maybe some adenium experts here could tell me if the red spikes are good things?
Many many thanks!!!

Too soon for me to tell but red ussually is a flower bud unless the leaves are red too

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh well, at least there's a sign of life, right?
Thanks again Malestrom!

Signs of life = very good
Patience = flowers eventually LOL!!

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's a great source for information on how to grow Adeniums. Believe me, Mark Dimmitt knows what he's talking about:

http://cactus-mall.com/andre/large.html

Here's the home page of the above source, which has all kinds of other info on Adeniums:

http://cactus-mall.com/andre/

And here's a third source re cultivation:

http://www.tropicanursery.com/adenium/cultivation.htm#pruning

Hope this helps.

FSD, Pakistan(Zone 10b)

Very beautifull Adeniums. colors of their bloom are same?
Here is mine 2 Months old seedling of Adenium.
Yasir

Thumbnail by cactus_lover

Mark Dimmits documentation and experience have been my driving thrust with Adeniums
I cant reccomend him highly enough!
Thanks for posting the links!! ;^)

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the links, Pekasky! I'm half way done reading it, really interesting. I put the links in my bookmark, since I know I'll be going back there so often for reference.

Yasir, I don't know what color they are yet, have never bloomed, I just got these 3 this month. But they are suppose to be different hybrids(?), they all have different names. Your 2 month old seedling looks so healthy. Look at the leaves on those!!

As long as this bald one's not dead, I promise I'll be patient to wait for the blooms on all of them :o)

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

You're very welcome. Glad I could help. I've seen some of Mark's hybrids. Only several years old, in a 15 gallon pot, and over 6 feet tall! Amazing!

I believe He claims to have achieved 6 foot in less than 4 years.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have an Adenium which always wants to grow tall rather than fat and squat. It grew within a few years to "eye-height" and I lop it off every so often at that. Perhaps there are some species or variants of Adeniums with a treelike habit?
Mark Dimmit refers to A. somalense (ssp) somalense as treelike?
Any thoughts on this ?
Here is mine

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

and another view after the rain

Thumbnail by RUK
SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Awesome, RUK! Looks like the REAL Adenium somalense. Mark Dimmitt feels at least some of the plants identified as A. somalense are really crosses between it and A. obesum. Take a look here for info and a picture of a true A. somalense which looks a LOT like yours: http://cactus-mall.com/andre/part3.html

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

pekasky,
that's it!!!
Thank you so much for the link. It fits - my plant also has that conical caudex mentioned here.

Awesome!!
I love the tree like growth of yours thats just terrific!
I just purchased 5 Somalense varieties and 5 Bohemianum and 5 arabicum and.......
heh it goes on I have about 23 seedlings of Arabicum too not to mention the obesums I have bought.

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

What a beautiful plant, RUK! I'd be very proud to have an Adenium like that.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

RUK - you're very welcome. Glad to help.

Malestrom - If you grow your Adeniums the way M. Dimmitt says to, are you going to have to build a new house too in a few years? HEHEHEHEHE

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Nice, RUK!!!

My parents live in S.E. Asia, and their adeniums look like those, not the big caudex ones. They have them for awhile, at least 30 years, been passed down to them by my grandma. They have them under full blazing sun the whole day on top of their roof, rained on and all, barely taking care of them, but they flower freely anyway. Amazing plants. They are in huge pots.
Wonder if mine will make it that way.....LOL.

I prefer mine to be small
Im a bonsai freak ;^)

Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Actually I prefer my adeniums to be small, too, as long as they bloom :o)

An unussual caudex and a full head of flowers is what im looking for in any of them
The A. Arabicum offer the unique ability to self heal root rot.
This will become important to you after losing a few favorites to rot.
Im happy to have any of them and all of them. ;^)

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

thanks
I read somewhere that Adeniums and Pachypodiums grown from cuttings don't develop a nice caudex as seed grown plants do. I always thought that my plant was perhaps grown from a cutting, but I always had a bit of doubt in the back of my mind.

Malestrom, you need to go to Thailand (it is simply an easy place to travel to) for a visit. You will see huge flowering specimens everywhere. ( together with gorgeous Euphorbia x lomi/flowering Thai Giant - Crown of Thorns)

I have been there vicariously through so many pics from folks whove gone.
Its beautiful and id love to go but itll be a while.
Thanks!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.