Soon to be a Georgian

Sparta, GA(Zone 7b)

We are having a house built in Sparta and I have some gardening questions. Can I plant gardenias with a southwest exposure? Now the weird question: how deep do they get? I have 2-3 feet between the garage and walkway. I also love camellias. Can you tell me their requirements? I'm looking forward to meeting so many of you! I've been reading your postings.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Glad to have you join us here. As to the gardenias, the southwest exposure might not be the best for them. Mine are in sun until about 2pm and they do fine. The sun here is so awfully bright that the southwest exposure might burn. You asked how deep they get and do you mean how large? There are small varieties but the August Beauty gets too big, about 4 ft mature size. Camellias require dappled light.....morning sun is ok.
Hope this helps and you will find everyone here very helpful in "painting" your garden.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Camelliia's need shade, they don't like sun at all. As far as gardenias I see them planted in full sun without a problem, mine get sun from about noon all the way to sun set and are very happy.

Sparta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you so much for the information! I'm thrilled that camellias need lots of shade. I've got loads of shade due to the lovely Georgia pines.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Clifland, a really good gardener helper is Walter Reeves. In the summer months he has a show on PBS called "Gardening in Georgia" on Saturdays. His website is walterreeves.com. A publication I highly recommend is the "Southern Living Garden Book".....it has pictures and details of plant requirements. It also lists plants by their common names.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Welcome Clifland! I'm looking forward to learning from you as well!

Deborah

Thomson, GA

Welcome, Clifland! I go through Sparta on occasion. Are you building near the lake? I have gotten REALLY lost in some of the remote areas, with no cell coverage and no road signs. If you get to Milledgeville, stop at Rip-off Ricks and get their map of the lake area; it's a lifesaver!

I just planted 6 gardenias in mid June, on opposite sides of my deck. So they get a variety of sun exposure, and I don't see much difference in the performance of either side. All of them are full of buds! I'm really pleased with them, didn't expect them to bloom their first year. There were three camelias already planted as foundation plants when I moved here, and they get nearly full sun until about 1-2 pm, and they are doing well. Of course, they have been here for years, so I don't know much about their history. My grandaddy grew amazing camelias, and he said the most important thing was to protect them from cold winds. Guess that's why we see them in foundations plantings so much.

Just curious, where are you moving from?

Susan

Sparta, GA(Zone 7b)

We're moving from georgous horse country, Lexington, Kentucky. We're moving to the children and grandchildren. We're moving from snow sledding and ice skating on our pond. We're moving to, well, I don't know, but will enjoy the adventure.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Welcome, Clifland. Before you plant anything, there are a few things I'd do. (Wish I had.) Check with neighbors--are there deer? It breaks my heart to see the plants we and former owners planted before we knew the deer would decimate them. By the by, gardenia they don't touch! Second thing I'd do is stop by my county ag extension agent's office and get plant lists (there's one for deer resistant plants) and information sheets. Such fun to drool over. The local Master Gardeners will be affiliated with ext office, and you can find out if there are MG plant sales, too! Sheila

Sparta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you so much for your advice, Sheila! I will find out about who the county ag extension agent is, where s/he is located and contact him/her. Oooo, I'm already excited about the idea of MG plant sales.

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

I have a Gardenia that was grown from a cutting by mqiq about 8 years ago and it is on the south facing side of my house and gets sun from about 11 am till sunset,it is now about 7 feet tall and 3 people cant reach around it, proper positioning or good soil? i couldn't say but it sure is pretty

Thomson, GA

Just wondering how your move went, clifland, and how you are enjoying life as a Georgian. It's fixin' to get purty around here, Redbuds blooming, soon azaleas and dogwoods. My azaleas are still getting comfortable, I guess, not much to brag about. My gardenias look nice, although I think one of them is iron deficient; looking a little jaundiced. I will soon have dozens and dozens of daylilies, dahlias and lilium, along with some phlox, peonies, caladiums, callas and various and sundry other treats to plant, thanks to the wonderful members' co-ops. I could not afford all this loveliness at retail!!

I was through Sparta a few weeks ago on my way to Milledgeville and noticed to my horror that Rip Off Rick's is no more! Construction going on, so I really couldn't tell what was happening. Hope you're having fun in the GA red clay!

Susan

Sparta, GA(Zone 7b)

Rip Off Rick's is back! The construction is almost finished and ROR's was open today.
Our house is wonderful and I'm thrilled to be here! The weather, aside from tornado warnings and major rain, is terrific. I understand it's warmer than normal, but thank goodness for that!
The buds promise a gorgeous spring!
The GA red clay on my dog's paws is another matter completely. I'm going to have carpet installed downstairs in the color closest to GA red clay.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL clifland, good idea on the carpet. I have 4 kids and a small dog its hopeless. Maybe hardwoods or tile might be a good idea. Never try and clean GA clay when its wet. Usually doesnt work too well when its dry either, but you have a better chance if it is dry. Welcome to Georgia.
chris

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hey Clifland!!! Were almost neighbors! I live up in Eatonton, but I go to Milledgeville to shop quite often! My Oldest daughter lived on the Sparta side of Lake Sinclair, in Milledgeville, right up the road from Good Ole Rip off Rick's, LOL!!!!
I hope you enjoy your new home and surrounding area! My Daughter loved her home there! She lived in the middle of 7 acres and had just about any type of flower you can imagine! Her Azaleas and camellias were beautiful, and Irises of every color! Her home was next to a protected wooded area with lots of shade and animals! the deer were always paying her a visit, they became a second family and brought the babies into her yard every Spring! The only thing she couldnt grow or keep , because of the Deer , were Hostas! Even though she did have a small bed of them next to her door!
Glad to have Ya neighbor!

Saint Simons Island, GA

clifland: i live on saint simons island in southeast georgia and have huge old gardenia facing southwest getting sun all day through old live oaks. it gets so many flowers i find my myself giving bags of them away. ditto for my camelias that live in the shade of a bamboo stand. good luck! dooley

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

New to Georgia myself, I can appreciate the excitement (and hesitation) in planning new gardens. It broke my heart to leave my gardens and potted plants in Western New York. With Spring busting out all over here now though I am beside myself in enjoying the earlier promise of gardening rather than waiting for May to get going. I live in Lawrenceville and the gardens have been neglected for a long time. In the fall I took out just about everything, removed old bark mulch, and turned the soil to basically start from scratch. Searching for what would be the BEST evergreen 3 foot tall/wide mounded shrub to border the foundation. Not a huge fan of holly, have looked at winter gem, but as a tenant rather than owner, do not want to go bankrupt. And, is it too early to trim small trees and shrubs already in?

Sautee Nacoochee, GA(Zone 7a)

Eufala,
We drove thru Eatonton on Friday on our way up from Fla(took our boy to Disney)! Why didnt you come out to the road side and wave " hello!" ? ;)

Welcome to Ga,Clifland! Let us know how things are going for your move and settling in. :D

Thomson, GA

ny_to_ga, there is a grower's outlet in Loganville, about 10-15 miles from you, that I have been dying to go to! I saw the link on this forum http://www.growersoutletllc.com - check out their prices! I will have to plan a day trip from Thomson to see my son in Athens and then head over there, about 30-40 miles from his apartment. Like I need any more plants. Looks like they have a decent selection of shrubs and the prices seem pretty darn good. If I were as close as you are I would be there every week! (probably good that I'm not) When you click on the link then go to current ad, you will see the prices

Welcome to GA!

Susan

Thomson, GA

BTW, I am glad to hear ROR is back. I always enjoyed stopping in there when I get to Milledgeville. I also like the Brick, a little restaurant downtown. I enjoy the architecture in the Antibellum city.

I am so ready start this gardening season. I have overspent terribly, but I am determined to have every square inch I possibly can crammed with flowers this year, and I will relish every bloom.

Hey, it's only money, and that's one thing I can make more of.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Awwwww Ninnian, You should have given me a "Holler", I sure would have been right there !!! You could have all had Dinner with me!!!!
I will be headed up your way on the 23rd, but we will go straight 441 to Cherokee!

Eufala,
Im not sure by that time we would have been fit to have dinner with,haven juist traveled 3/4 the way back from Orlando- our thoughts were of getting HOME.

geez! 441 goes right past my Dojang! Thats a Friday, a day Im not usually in there throwing and being thrown, but dependant on the time of day I could make it to say hi!

Nin

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Ninnian, Im not familair with the term DoJang! Am I right and assuming that is another word for Dojo? If I am , the only one we pass is the one in Cornelia! IS that the one?
Im not sure what time we will be going through there but , I'll roll down the window and give a good Holler!!!!!
E.

Sparta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you, Everyone, for all your help! I feel as if I know some of you personally and am looking forward to meeting you.

New question: I've found a plant that grows in shade and is very pretty, Reeves Skimmia. I bought a female, Home Depot Landscape had only one, and I'd like to buy another female and a male as well. (Gee, I didn't mean to get into hot, sexy talk...) Does anyone know where I could buy these, either locally or online? How do they reproduce? I know, I'm full of questions, but I'm learning and will ask a question only once.

Well, Sorry, I cant help you with the sex question. I could only find Japanese Skimmia in the plant files, but it sounds like what you are describing. It didnt have a propogation suggestion. I have the perfect spot for that bush, actually I do need maybe 3. Just what I needed more plants that I gotta have. Home Depot tomorrow morning. I have asked the same question more than once...probably cause I am a little slow, lol, and need it said a few different ways before I understand.
The people on this site are very tolerant, very nice, and very knowledgeable.
chris

Buford, GA(Zone 7b)

Guardians, When you go to Athens be sure to visit Thyme After Thyme Nursery. It is located about 3 miles behind the Athens Airport. They have a unique selection and the ladies there will go above and beyond the call of duty to help you out. The website is www.thymeafterthyme.com but it looks to be still under construction as far as their selections.
-Greg

Red,
thats teh Korean term for Dojo- and yes- that's the one! My son and I are Black belts in SunMooKwan Hapkido. Do holler!, Im sure my Master will inform me later ;)

oh! Greg mentioned Thyme after Thyme and I havent been there. My hubby runs a dept. at UGa-- I wonder if I could sneak in visit? And would the nursery stuff they have be suitable for mtn climate? Thats seems liek an odd question, but they stay abotu 10 degrees warmer there in Athens than here.

regarding Athens- Has anyone been to teh State Botanical gardens there? Im thinking it shoudl be in prime season in a few weeks and I should go!

Nin

clifland, found this for you.
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/skja-i.htm
It is lower growing than I thought. "reeves" is the one that is self-fertile. Also poisonous.
chris

Thomson, GA

Ninnian, I have not been to the Botanical gardens in Athens. That's funny you should mention it; I was just talking to my son about it the other day. I had mentioned that I didn't understand why Augusta, the "Garden City" didn't have a botanical garden like Atlanta. He asked me why I never went to the one in Athens, that it was "awesome". I think it is time to plan a trip to Athens . Hmmm. Greg, I have seen others post nice things about Thyme after Thyme. I do see their billboard going into town. I would love to stop in if I have time.

Guardians,
I've been thru your part of the world more than a few times. My DH spent 4 years managing remediation efforts at SRS, and Thomson was on our way thru from our mtn refuge. (We rented a place in Jackson all that time.. )
I wonder how many others who live within a hour or so of Athens have never been there? Mabye we could plan a tour there, and then desend upon Thyme After Thyme like a plague of locusts! LOL
( I wonder if place sliek taht ever consider giving tours to groups along with discounts on sales?)

Nin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.