Evergreens in tubs

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

A friend in zone 7, Virginia, has lost her second set of containerized Alberta Spruces and is looking for evergreens to replace them in her (terra cotta "look alike") tubs on the deck. They are about 2’ across and 18” high. She’d like a plant height of around 18 to 20”. Anything that could be decorated with white lights for the Christmas season would be nice. They would have to enjoy the heat and humidity of summer. I’d appreciate any help you can provide.

I did suggest Hinoki cypress but have no idea if they can be purchased that small.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If she's willing to wait a few months, the nurseries out here sell tons of little mini-Christmas trees in pots as we get closer to the holidays and I'm sure the ones in your area would too. Problem is many of them don't really like living in pots, so they do OK for that first year, but it's hard to keep them around, they would rather be planted in the ground. I've also seen Rosemary sold shaped into a Christmas tree shape, that might hold up for her in the pots a bit better if she wants to keep them for multiple years.

Thanks, ercane. I'm in the same zone and the rosemary, even 'Arp', won't survive winter but I do love the idea.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Maybe a dwarf cryptomeria, deodar cedar, or arborvitae.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

What is she losing the Alberta Spruce to? I've had one in a container for three years now. I think I repotted it up one inch in diameter this year. I have to watch the water, and we have a problem with spider mites and white flies bugging AS's here, but it still looks great. Bought it for $4.99 at Kmart or somewhere like that.

Do they not do well in your zone?

I've always liked rosemary in a pot at Christmas. I'm not sure what else is readily available as a dwarf. Sorry.

w

Winging: The heat was a major problem coupled with humidity. Most days since May have been around 95 degrees.

hcmcdole - thank you for the names. I'll even Google them first because they sound interesting and are new to me.

I'm sure she'll join DG as soon as she gets some Kool-Aid ...... or cool breezes.

The cryptomeria Japonica and cedar are delightful looking.

Out of the three you named, hcmcdole, I liked the first best and will pass on the information. Thanks again.

This message was edited Sep 1, 2006 8:41 PM

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

How about a boxwood shaped as wanted. They are fun as you can prune to shape and need little maintenance. In our zone they take austere conditions of summer and some are also able to withstand austere conditions of winter.

Good idea. I've seen the various shapes. Thanks!

Pearl River, LA

pirl ....How about sasanqua camellia??? They bloom in December and I think they can be pruned for size.... They are strong enough to string with Christmas lights and stay green all year. The file said they are grown in Brooklyn so maybe they would do there. I have them and they are great green an blooming when not much else is... summer heat is no problem. If they do get too large plant them in the ground.....shirleyt

GREAT thought. Now I'm getting tempted! The best part is I have the perfect spot.

Thank you, Shirley!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.