Compost pile full of fire ants.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Dh was in the hospital for a week. I was told it rained alot as I stayed at the hospital. Yesterday when I went out tocheck things in the yard, I started turning the pile and atleast a million fire ants were coming out for some of me. I put the pitch fork down quick as they come up it very fast.

Can I put fire ant granulars in the compost to kill them without doing harm to anything else? If not what can I do? I sure don't want to ruin it or kill off my earthworms. I hate fire ants.

Peoria, IL

I don't have a problem with fire ants myself, but I do remember reading a post from another texan (maybe another forum?) that had linked a page that had organic fire ant control suggestions.

I was hoping that someone from Texas might post something to help you out.

I think most synthetic pesticides that one would use to kill ants would probably not be good for the biological activity in the compost pile.

I did find this page on the web. Its not the same page that was posted before but the methods described there are very similar.

http://fireant.tamu.edu/materials/factsheets_pubs/pdf/FAPFS012.2002rev.pdf

I do hope your hubby is recovering comfortably from his hospital stay.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

"Results" is kind of expensive but seems to get rid of them. I have no idea what it would do to the worms. On the advice of another DGer I used about half a bottle of vinegar on a mound and it is gone gone gone. So is the grass where I poured it, but that wouldn't be a problem in a compost pile. Again, I don't know what it would do to the worms. Check out the Texas Gardening forum, as joe suggests.

Boerne, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi y'all. I'm a fairly new member, and just recently found this forum. I've been absent from gardening for awhile but have recently renewed my interest. Not much gardening yet, but lots of reading DG!

Being a Texan, I am quite familiar with fire ants! Orange peel is one suggested organic control method that works. A local radio gardening program suggested placing fresh orange peel in the top of the mound. I tried it on a lark, and was quite surprised to find the critters had moved on in a few days.

Some also suggest a mix of orange oil (citrus acid) and molasses teas. Citrus acid acts as an abrasive and destroys their thorax, thus dehyrdrating them. Molasses is a powerful biostimulant, thus increasing the proper type of soil microbes to repel them. I've not tried this, but supposedly the solution is long-lasting. There are some products called Orange Guard on the market that claims to kill fire ants, so there must be something to the citrus acid. Hope this is helpful.

Dawn

Crozet, VA

Hi Everyone - dfulgham, I too began gardening this spring with a vengeance. I had spent many hours over last winter reading this and other gardening boards. This is a fabulous place to come and learn things. My garden has definitely benefitted from me being here.

Only the last couple of weeks have I begun composting. I am using a large plastic trash can with a lid. It seems to be about a third full, so as the year progresses, I will probably have to find more "bins" to use.

I had read a lot about composting last winter, but didn't think I wanted to get in to it. When two of my small beds did so poorly this year, I decided to amend the soil with compost. I also have a question for those of you who are more knowledgeable......when (or if) is the best time to use the compost in soil?

Thanks in advance.

Ruby

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Ruby, once the compost is really ripe -- fine particles, not producing heat -- just work it into the soil. You can set it aside for use later if you need to. Just be sure it really is ripe or it can burn roots. It will have a good, earthy, foresty smell.

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

I started using Conserve by Green Light (I think that's what it is...can't find it now) a while back and now I only use it when I see them coming back, which is rarely! It's a Spinosad bait and it works. No more fire ants!

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Regarding fire ants in your compost: I get them off and on. Supposedly if you put dry molasses on the pile (or mixed in if you don't get stung) it should heat up your pile and get rid of the ants.
On that same note: You said it had rained a lot and a really wet compost pile also seems to draw ants. In that case I believe you have to add a bunch of brown matter (to help dry up the pile) and then the dry molasses. ~~~ Carol

Something else you can use is shredded junk mail or other shredded paper to help dry it out and add to the compost.

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

I've used the D.E. (Diatomaceous Earth) as called out in the article but, as they say, it's doesn't always eliminate the mound. I'm pretty sure it doesn't hurt earthworms, just hard shelled insects.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I've used boiling water on the hills of ants we get here. I don't think they are fire ants but don't see why that wouldn't work on them too. I'm less concerned about being totally organic than I am about controling something as bad as fire ants.

Citra, FL

I have really good luck with Amdro. Its a bait that they take down to their little nests, feed the queen, and voila! end of the nest. Seems the mildest way to control them without poisoning everything around it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.