Gotta share my excitement

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Look how dark my pumpkin is getting! :)

Prior to last year the only pumpkins I'd ever seen grown here/for sale were the traditional shaped Hallowe'en types.

Thumbnail by Lilypon
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Gorgeous! Are those the french red pumpkins?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I'm not sure garden_mermaid.........I saved the seed from a purchased pumpkin.

Indy guessed.
Those pumpkins look a lot like the French heirloom...Cinderella. type.

FarmerDill thought 'Rogue Vif d'Etampes'( Cinderella) if it would become redder.

Now that the red is developing I'd say 'Rogue Vif d'Etampes'( Cinderella) is correct. Ü I'm just so amazed that they grew so well here , esp since I direct sowed them (they are right on the button for days to maturity). It must have the rare perfect summer for them here.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2006 10:45 PM

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

You are far enough north that you have a lot of daylight hours in the summer to help them grow.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Yep thank goodness for those daylight hours (esp when it is 101 to 110 days to maturity) & esp since we could have frost any day now. Some years we've had snow in June and/or Aug. Two (or was it three) years ago we had the unheard of happen in July as well. Those cooler summers are getting few and far between now tho.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2006 11:26 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

FarmerDill do you think I could enter it as Rogue Vif d'Etampes in the PlantFiles?

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

It's beautiful!! How big? Trying to get a good "picture" in my mind. I have never seen such a great pumpkin!

This message was edited Aug 30, 2006 10:59 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thanks Grammy ......I'm guessing about 2' to 2 1/2' across but will measure it tomorrow to be sure. There is 7 on the vine and it was still producing little ones when we cut it (the 8th one went mushy after that).
Another vine, same variety, has 4 on it.

I'm going to love decorating for Thanksgiving/Hallowe'en this year.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Lily, since it has turned red, it looks like a positive ID. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/60841/index.html

That is a beautifully composed photo.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thank you! Ü

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

It's in the queue now. :)

Phoenix, AZ

WOW!!! Awesome looking pumpkins!!!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOL Thanks Gothic.......I'm pretty excited about them too! It is sooooooo nice to see that an unusual looking variety will ripen prior to frost here (I've got tomatoes that have a shorter maturity date, by about 20 days, with their first flush of blooms just starting to ripen).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.