borers

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Okay. I planted summer squash for a fall garden, and every single plant is playing host to borers. Very unhappy here. The question of the moment is, does this mean the gourds I plan to plant come spring are doomed? Is there anything I can do to get rid of these little thugs? I've been directed to a site that tells how to deal with them -- www.everest.ento.vt.edu -- but of course only time will tell what results that will produce.

Anyone have any method? I'm willing to use pesticides, but only as a last resort. Will DE get rid of them? Will starting them indoors help?

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

If you raise the large types with the white night blooming blossom, you probably won't have squash vine borers bothering them...........bird house, long handled, speckled swan, bushel, large apple, etc.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Indy -- that's great. I'm planning on planting dippers and bushels. I'll still keep a sharp eye on them, though. I used the method at the link above and the plants seem to be doing all right -- I have blooms and everything. Which doesn't mean I will have squash, but it's a good sign. At least now I know what to look for.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.