Getting Ready For Ernesto

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Welp, here we go again. Tomorrow I'm getting off work early to go to the grocery store, library and fill up with gas. I'll spend the rest of the afternoon moving containered plants into the greenhouse and checking my tie downs on the greenhouse and the shed. I use mobile home augers for this .. they work very well. I'll also be collapsing my patio furniture and laying it down flat against the house. If the storm track looks like it will pass to the west of us, i'll bring the chairs into the house. I'll say goodbye to the datura in containers in the front yard which are just too large to move. They will probably be snapped in two. I'll wish the brugmansia and my franklin tree good luck in hopes they can bend in the wind without breaking.

What are your plans?

X

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I hate not knowing where it will go. Usually I just prepare and leave town but my son is flying in today and we have to pick him up from the airport. It is almost 4:00 a.m. and the forecast right now has it making landfall again above Charleston. Did I mention I have reservations at an expensive B & B in Georgetown this Friday, impeccable timing, huh? alice

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Bummer. You unfortunately will be hit harder than I will. I'm just worried about the greenhouse, panels have a tendency to pop out.

X

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Xeramtheum

You forgot one thing.BREAD! Don't you know that in the South when a storm is coming everyone stocks up on bread.I don't know why but it is true.

Ardesia
Hopefully it will be gone by Friday.We planned to go up to the farm but that might mean driving right into it.

I'm heading down to the beach to see if the surfers are out.I love to see the beach before and after a storm.

Nancy

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Any time bad weather happens here, we worry about a big pine tree in front of our house. Even during a rain it usually drops some branches.

Otherwise, we are good to go.

Entlie
Fairfield Harbour
New Bern

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

OMG!! Bread! They do the same thing here in Indiana in winter. 3 inches or more there is a rush for milk & bread! Don't get it and I have been through a couple of true blizzards!!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Well thankfully, Ernesto has been downgraded. Just hope it doesnt strengthen when it gets back over water.

X

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Yawn, no big deal. Few inches of rain and some wind.

They just cancelled school in Jasper County tomorrow and Beaufort County will make their decision at 5 p.m. today. That are afraid of flooding and tornados. High tide is early afternoon and school buses and flood tides don't mix well.

Nancy, I am bringing Boolie to the Mansfield Plantation; nothing like a wet, shaggy dog and a fancy B&B, it should be interesting. LOL Hope you get to take your trip.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

ardesia
It looks like we will both be able to take our trips.The Grand Strand Chamber of Commerce is saying that the storm will be out of our area by Friday and that people shouldn't cancel their holiday plans.I hope they are right.

Have fun with Boolie.I really want to meet him.

Nancy

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

They cancelled Beaufort county schools? The eye is right off the coast from us right now and we have no wind and a little drizzle. That's it so far. They said they were worried about the buses on the way home, winds are supposed to get up around 40-50 but I just don't see that happening.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

It's about to hit the fan here!

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

You can probably chill out X; we are right above the "u" in Beaufort and it looks horrible on your map but there are clear spots in the sky here. Like Corey says; a bit drizzly here and there but no wind at all.

I have to go to a meeting around noon, if the wind is going to pick up it will probably be when I have to drive through it. :-((((

alice

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

I am always worried to death with this kind of weather because my son lives in Charleston and has to drive across a bridge. Do you have any experience with this? He lives on James Island which is apparently very flood prone, I have seen water on the main street there one summer after a big T-storm.

Here we have had a lot of good rain from the front coming from the north, no Ernesto yet.

From my standpoint about an hour south of Charleston, this storm has, thankfully, been a big bust. The river has a few really tiny whitecaps and that is it.

My rain guage has .02" and we barely had a breath of wind. I see from the radar it is raining from Edisto to the NC line so Charleston will probably get a bit more rain and wind than we did but hopefully not much more. The tide is on it's way out now so maybe the roads downtown won't flood.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Same here ardesia .. radar looks worse than it actually is .. I'm just getting some nice breezes with gentle soaking rain. My garden is loving it .. my friend in Orlando said it was the biggest non-event he's ever seen. I just hope the cry wolf syndrome doesn't appear in the next one and people ignore it. I totally blame the weather services local and national for over reacting. Think of the thousands of dollars wasted open up shelters, closing schools and such. I'm sure Charleston is getting flooded again, but that is not unusual. I'm really ticked off.

X

Conway, SC

The Weather Channel people are really strange. I'm actually thinking stupid!
This guy is standing at North Myrtle talking about palm branches falling and white caps in the ocean. It looked like that last week and we had 4" of rain.
We have had some wind gust around 25 in the last 30 minutes. We are on the eastern side so we should be OK. If the Weather Channed folks would take a boat 20 miles due east into the Gulf stream they might see some action. Stay safe -- it is no big deal here.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

5 miles downriver from New Bern (Fairfield Harbour) we had lots of rain, and more wind than we anticipated. 9 1/4 inches of rain so far, and 60 mph winds. The winds are down some, now that the storm has gone through.

No big damage, though. My confederate roses fell over - I think the ground was too saturated to hold the weight of the plants - they were about 9 ft. tall. Tied them back up to the deck and I think they'll be ok.

Entlie

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

And here in Chapel HIll: we have had a lot wind but nothing bad, some gusts to 33, but the win is pretty constant. Rain is gone. Charleston did flood downtown around the hospital, Daniel said and some people did not make it in for their evening shifts on time, so he had to stay late. I am so glad this one is over. I agree with you that there is too much crying wolf going on, on the other hand, see what Entlie describes. There is just a lot of local variability.

We we were certainly lucky this time and I am concerned about the fuss the media made. I came through Charleston Friday morning and there wasn't a leaf out of place. Spent the night in Georgetown and it was the same story. I am not in a huff about the warnings but like BSD said, they are standing there in normal weather trying to say conditions are bad. People are going to start ignoring the media and what if we had a real problem????

Clementine, it always floods by MUSC with any good rainstorm at high tide. But everyone knows that area will flood and they know what to do. Been happening with regularity for as long as I can remember.

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, ardesia, I guess I have to get used to that and worry less.

I am going to post a new question and I think you uprobably have an answer/advice for on that too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.