CLOSED: What's on my Hibiscus?

Madison, MS

What's this little critter on my Hibiscus? Do I need to get rid of it? There are several on it! Thanks

Thumbnail by mjfulgham
chicago suburbs, IL(Zone 5a)

Looks like niesthrea louisanica, scentless plant bug. I couldn't find info on if it's a good or bad bug. Maybe you'll have better luck. Google that name and compare your bug to see if it's the same thing.

Madison, MS

Thanks - I looked up the info on it and it's a common pest on hibiscus - thanks so much!

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

From what I understand most scentless plant bugs are "pests" but they don't really cause any damage to the plants they inhabit. If there are desireable bugs on your hibiscus (butterflies, bees, etc) or hummingbirds, I wouldn't treat with anything if it were me - unless it looked like the bugs are causing damage, but even then my guess would be that the damage would be minor (these guys can't chew) and maybe no worth treating for.

From what I remember, the nymphs of this species are generally rather colorful and interesting looking in their own right. Here's a link to a picture... http://bugguide.net/node/view/53549 .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.