Clematis 'My Angel'

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I promised Shirley when this new acquisition to my garden was in bloom, I'd post photos. Sorry for the junk mess in some photos - it's been raining and I've been doing a lot of work in this area.

It's an interesting plant. I like it. Known for bluish foliage which it certainly has, and the drooping flowers and almost heart-shaped flower buds make for a great trio.

Dax

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by conifers
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow that is an awesome Clematis!

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Baby!

A gift from a friend to boot!

Dax

Lonoke, AR(Zone 7b)

I love it! Especially the way you've done the pole and all. That was a great idea! Wtg!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Dax..How beautiful..I had considered that one and several Clematarians have said it really can be invasive..LOL..can't say I wouldn't mind something so beautiful being invasive..INVADE MY GARDENS..thanks for sharing..it's beautiful...Jeanne

Crivitz, WI(Zone 4b)

Dax, That is just beautiful !!!! What is the name of it ? I HAVE to get one !!!

Love the way you did your post too !

Bev

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Pretty slick eh?

Thanks a lot,

Later.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

BEAUTIFUL!

Does the outside of the tepals start off as a yellowish color and then darken with age? I can see a darker tint to each one. Here is a link to Clematis on the Web so you can compare the two. http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=677

Crivitz, WI(Zone 4b)

Shirley1md........Thanks so much for the name. I didn't know there was a clematis by that name. I do now and will try to find one. ( I just thought Dax called it that because it is so beautiful)
Bev

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hiya Shirley,

I think I must not (for the first time ever) have the correct soil "substance" because that link you provided shows something similar but very different from what it is I'm seeing here.

The soil here is out of this world so I can't explain. What my photos show is true to the eye here as well. Kind of weird huh?

If I were to answer your question, I would say that the petals when first opened are a golden yellow and not becoming "darker" as you've asked, but inversely become muted or "lighter."

The red coloration at that link is not seen at all on my vine.

Bev - I figured you'd figure that out - sorry I didn't help ya/answer your question. I've been a nurseryman and gardener for enough years to assume when I write that a cultivar when written in italics, is the name of the plant! While I didn't include the species name, I tried to give as much of an accurate name as I could, for al of you to see.

I guess we'll have to see what someone elses My Angel looks like in comparison to mine.

Regards,

Dax

Crivitz, WI(Zone 4b)

O.K. Dax, I am pretty new to gardening, only the last couple of years now.

I worked all my life and not in gardening...so now, after I have retired I am playing catch up. I have so much to learn, so much to do, and so little time to do it.

Thanks, Bev

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I, Myself thought it looked different than "My Angel"..but didn't want to say for sure...the foliage is more of what they call the Blue Foliage that you see on some of the Tibetana Subspecies...I was wondering either that or "Helios"?..Jeanne

Dax: Here is a link to "Helios", which is described as a "creamy yellow" color, but appears much brighter at C.O.T.W. http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=509

What do you think of "Tibetan Mix"? http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=515 Is that closer to what you have growing in your garden?

Jeanne: Thanks for the clue!

Bev: Names can be tricky. Especially, ones translated from another language. In this particular case, "My Angel introduced by Dutch nurseryman Jan van Zoest and named after his wife, Engelina (Engel is Dutch for angel)".

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Interesting. There's no fragrance to this vine but the guy who gave me it, works at Dawe's Arboretum and has been labeling plants a very long time. I don't know now what I should think:)

The flower buds on my plant do have a hint of red resonance but not as deep red as those photos.

Thanks a lot you two. I'll ask the guy where the plant came from but I seem to remember that he was too given this plant as a gift and simply divided it and handed me over a chunk earlier this past spring. Which in a case as such, I doubt he even realizes or thinks 'anyone' could be questioning the plants validity.

I better email him and check back in. My mind I feel to be a steel trap of sorts. Our conversation rolls through my mind like it occurred yesterday, but as soon as I begin thinking too hard, of course I start to remember more actually! So, I'd say it's a case of mistaken identity before he got his hands on it. At any pace however, before it becomes propagated any further, I better stop the cycle should this be the case before it continues any further.

Many thanks, I appreciate your id skills.

I'll also mention that I'm firm on the viewpoint that plant name origins should never be translated/anglicized in most cases. The plants name should be 'Blauer Engel'....PERIOD! I just can't understand why people do this.

Dax

Dax: Please let us know what you find out from your contact at the Dawe's Arboretum. I would be very interested to know the proper i.d. for your beautiful Clematis.

Fragrance depends a lot on your sensitivity to certain smells, weather conditions and time of day.

Probably, plant names are translated to make the spelling and pronunciation easier for people in their native languages. Can you imagine the creative spellings and mis-pronunciations that would occur! "My Angel" or "Blauer Engel" is a simple one to spell & prounounce, but some names would be a nightmare!

Denver, CO

Hey up Dax, my brilliant fellow.

You and I know the reason those hooligans change the names- money. To make them more salable. Someone thought that Zantedeschia x 'Schwarzwalder' (a plant you are familiar with, Shirley) would never sell to a redneck public that couldn't pronounce it. So now it's "Black Forest Calla Lily" in our fair economocentric country. Dax, don't your underpants just twist when you see a conifer cultivar graft that is obviously mislabeled? Mine do. I agree wholeheartedly that 'Piluu' should not be "Little Duckling" even though they are well known to be synonymous. Growers could start by putting their tradenames in double quotes like they are supposed to anyhow. Stepping off my rotting soapbox...

That plant is gorgeous, firstly. My gut reaction is that that puppy is orientalis or related, not tangutica. The blue foliage should be a keying-out dead giveaway to a Clematis species expert, like the guy that takes E-mails from superb the hull University Website. Try him: richard@thenook.karoo.co.uk

Now, has it been hot lately in fair Rock Island? Could heat fade affect your petal colour?

Wait!
Bang. I think I got it. The leaves are glaucus, right?
Clematis glauca.
Potential candidates:
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=1137
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=613

Kenton J. the ID stickler.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Sorry James..But I am not seeing that reddish brown purple on the top of his sepals like those you posted...Jeanne

Denver, CO

Indeed.
I think it's time to mail Mr. Expert at U of Hull.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I'll be in touch.

Thanks guys,

Dax

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

In his words, it appears that a labeling mistake could have occurred.

I'll need to email this professor at this point because certainly I don't want to propagate something under the wrong name.

Thanks very much again.

Take care,

Dax

(Zone 4a)

Dax,

I just knew you would present a beautiful trellis and setting
because you are from Rock Island! Rah, yay!

Truly, your patio and trellis are extroardinary!

Are you for hire?

Corinne

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Tamarak - I'll work for cash:) - Send me a D-Mail if you're serious.

Thanks!

Dax

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Just wondering is you ever found out the correct name for your Clematis!!??

Debbie

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I think it is a 'My Angel' - no mislabeling - it does have the most attractive seedheads I've ever seen however.

Dax

San Clemente, CA

I wish I could grow Clematis here in California, yours look pretty.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm sure you could sell your house is you have one and retire here to grow all the clematis in the world!

Thanks pacificstar,

Dax

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

pacificstar why can you not grow them there? I have them here in the desert.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

PacificStar..you can grow Clematis..I mean you even have a native Clematis that grows in California and is more drought tolerant than any!!
http://www.ventanawild.org/news/fe99/bower.html
The trick to growing Clematis in warmer zones is to plant them where they only get about 6 hours morning sun and are shaded from the hot afternoon sun..as they tend to fade and get brown leaves otherwise...Watering is essential..they love to have their roots stay moist and planting them 2-4 inches deeper helps you succeed in this...Do give them a try...you'll so enjoy having them in your gardens...Jeanne

PacificStar:

You definitely can grow Clematis in California! In fact you've got an excellent nursery in Northern California! Be sure to check out this link. http://www.chalkhillclematis.com/menu.html Ask them which Clematis grows best in your area. I know you won't be disappointed!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.