Black Eyed Susans

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

I have a patch of black eyed susans that this year developed into a huge bed with prolific flowers that are still with me. They are in their third year in the bed. Should I divide them this year or cut them back and mulch and fertilize again for next season?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I would say, if you want more plants, divide. If not, you can leave them without a problem (some plant reduce flowering pretty quickly if not divided. I have not found that w/black eyed susans) They are pretty tough and divide easily. I tend to be a spring divider but others prefer fall. Either will work but why not continue to enjoy the flowers. They could make it to Oct for you.
Good luck.
Dave

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

ditto to what Dave said. I do my dividing in the fall.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

My Blackeyed Susans have been blooming for over a month and still keep coming. I was thinking of moving them this Fall after I lift some Dahlias. Mid October wouldn't be too late, would it? They belong in a more visible location than where they are now.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

Wherever you transplant it to, use edging around it or it will take over. This is 1 plant in full sun after 3 years:

Thumbnail by jjpm74
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Andy, My memory tells me that mid October would still leave you at least a month for roots to settle-in in zone 6a.
Dave
They are incredible workhorses, aren't they?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I agree and they are so happy all the time. I love the way they brighten the yard that tends to be more green at this point of the season!

(Zone 4a)

I never really used to like black eyed susans but this year I have really taken a liken to them! They really are pretty and they bloom for so long - what was wrong with me before?? LOL

Morris Plains, NJ

what is the best way to aid in Black Eyed Susan's replicating? I have two plants w/in in a 4ft area and would like them to fill in more. Any suggestions woudl be great! Thanks

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I wouldn't dead head and let the seeds fall into the same bed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.