Adding height to a standard

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I've just planted a standard H. paniculata 'Grandiflora' which was an end-of-season sell-off, and is badly formed. Also, it's too short for my spot. I'd like to grow it higher, by about a foot (on the main standard stem).

My plan is to not prune it now, and see what happens in the spring, then select a good candidate for leader (there is an obvious one already) and start the whole 'head-forming' process over again. Or should I prune now, or in Sept-Oct, to promote other buds?

And as it grows, when is the best time to prune for shape but minimize reduction of flowerheads?

My batteries are dead, otherwise I'd post a photo. I have high hopes for this plant.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm pretty sure PG's bloom on new wood, so you should be able to prune in the spring and be fine as far as flowering. I've never trained anything as a standard so can't provide too much good advice, but I think it makes more sense to try and prune it in the spring--that's when new growth will be starting so you'll get more immediate feedback on whether it's going to grow the way you want it to than if you prune it now right before it gets ready to go dormant for the winter.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Yes, I'd like to have as many buds as possible to choose from for pruning in the spring. There may be die-back due to being a transplant, stressed, and from winter conditions. Thanks!

PS I am willing to sacrifice bloom next year for the opportunity to create a good crown structure for future growth.

Arlington, TN(Zone 7a)

HYDRANGEAPANICULATA-’P.G. HYDRANGEA’
Not to be over looked. It can tolerate our blistering sun unlike any
other hydrangea. It is also woody and can be pruned to a stan-
dard, (like a crepe myrtle) and its top will cascade. Can get as tall
as 10-15 ft. I love them as a formal entrance, an arch or corner
specimins. They require judicious pruning to give them a tree
form. Sun to part shade. Not picky about soil, but good drainage
is best. Flowers on new wood so you can’t ruin them with busy
clippers. White blooms fade to pink and brown.

Hope this will help you
Wolfgang

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

I have been wanting one of these but when the guy at the nursery told me they could take full sun, I didn't beleive him!

Wolfgang, how much water do they need when they're in full sun? Could it easily be kept at abt 8 ft. tall?
Thanks! I'm so excited!
Sherry

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you're in a hotter climate it may need a bit of shade--most plants that are marked sun to part shade really require part shade if you have hot summers. Even sometimes plants marked full sun need some PM shade in hot climates.

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

firstyard, In our area, extension system agents define "full sun" as 4 hours of morning sun. I think afternoon shade would help your plant.

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

I knew it was too good to be true!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.