disappointed with the color on my coneflowers this year

Peoria, IL

Lots of my coneflowers did not get very purple this year. They were more grey and blah than purple. I was wondering why? Was it last year's drought? or something else.

Has any one else noticed purple coneflower color ick this year, or is just me?

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

This is the first year I've had mine but so I can only compare them to pictures but they are abt the color I expected.
Sherry

Mid-Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5b)

I've had coneflowers for years now. They spread by themselves. The color is not too spectacular. However, I noticed that the ones that I moved into the butterfly garden last year, which got a dose of compost have a nicer pink color. I wonder if nutrients, and/or moisture make a difference?

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Mine seem muted, but I was thinking that was a good thing - I'm not a bright pink fan, generally speaking. We've had LOTS of rain, so it isn't drought here.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

I think that it may be the fertilizer thing...I learned that about the 2nd year that I had mine. But be thankful that you have blooms...something (grass hoppers?) ate mine & I have None.:(
I fertilize in the spring ~ just once.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

The color is paler for me when they are not grown in strong enough light. Even here in the south, they do best in full sun.

Robert.

Peoria, IL

Hey Joepyeweed!

I'm thinking it was the blastingly hot and dry July weather that we had. There was no letup in it for the whole month. I think flower color expression is going to be more based on the environmental factors at the time of flowering rather than factors from a year ago. I don't have any facts to back that up so perhaps someone more knowledgeable can back me up or correct me. Of course, it could be a sinister plot; genetically manipulated Echinaceas that self destruct in 3 years so that you have to go out to Hoerr's and buy more. Ok, probably not.

Ernie

Light, air temps, pH, and flavonoids influence color. It was a hot summer and we have no control over that although it is said that bright light and cool temperatures during flower development make blooms more intense. I'm thinking of how lowering the pH in the soil around some Hydrangeas changes their bloom color from pink to blue so maybe you could try some Miracid?

Maybe contact some of these people to ask-
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/floriculture/Crops/Echinacea_ENHFL04-008.pdf#search='echinacea%20color'

Peoria, IL

Ernie - you need to come to the fall seed exchange at Forest Park Nature Center. Its all the free wildlfower seeds that you could want - it includes a pot luck dinner and a presentation, typically about wildflowers - no need to spend money at Hoerr's.

Hoerr's is best for looking around and enjoying while leaving your wallet in your pocket - (if you can!)

Bethany, IL(Zone 5b)

Hey Joepyeweed,

When is this fall seed exchange? I'd like more info. Always looking for something "free"!

Peoria, IL

Its the Saturday before Thanksgiving... so this year that would be Nov. 18th.

Here is the blurb about it from the Park District Web site...

Native Wildflower Seed Exchange and Potluck
Here’s an invitation to a unique pot luck! How does it work? If you have seed to exchange, please label with plant name and origin of seed. All of the seed packages are put out on a big table and shared with all who attend. If you are just starting a native wildflower garden, there is always enough seed for everyone. Please join us. Guest Speakers to be announced. Bring a dish to share and table service. Contact Suzie Barber at 249-3024 with questions or e-mail what seed you plan to bring to barber_suzie@yahoo.com Age: 14+

Day-Date Time Fee

Sat: 11/18 5:30 pm Donations requested

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.