Please id this (N.C.) vine for me?

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

Old Timers told me about a vine they have in Sanford, N.C., that has little fruit balls along the vine and they come in all colors. The fruit is on the other side of the leaf, and they alternate along the vine, i.e. on on this side, the next on the opposite side. Does this description make sense?

It sounds really interesting. Thanks for checking and letting me know.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Could you be talking about "Porcelain" vine?...Jeanne
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/vines/ampelopsis_brevip.html

This message was edited Aug 28, 2006 1:06 PM

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If Jeanne guessed right, I would investigate its invasiveness in your area before you run out and buy one. They're quite undesirable in some parts of the country.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Sounds like it to me, too.

Robert.

edited to add PS.

PS: A. brevipedunculata is not a native although it is now naturalized in the US. It can be troublesome.

This message was edited Aug 28, 2006 8:35 PM

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you all, I have not seen it (maybe this weekend) but it certainly sounds like it. I was just wondering, because the weay they described it sounded interesting. And no, I don't want anything invasive.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

PS~

I see it here and there in Gaston County, NC and wherever it is, it is in no way "out of control". There may be more than one vine in any area, but they are seperated by some distance and not very large in size. I have seen some really large vine but those were in moist areas or areas that got irrigated in some way.

I grow it in a container, but will put it in the ground this fall. It bothers me to grow it because Japanese beetles *love* it, and they will devour blooms (insignificant) and foliage alike and I just don't want to keep spraying it all summer.

I never had any volunteers come up around my plant, but I hardly get much fruiting due to the J-beetles.

The fruits are truly beautiful....so many shades of blue, green and purple.

Robert.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

That's why I just said to find out if it's invasive in your area--this one's a nasty in many places but maybe not all, there are definitely some regions of the country that are friendlier for some plants than others!

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

I saw the porcelaine vine at a friend's house in Sanford, NC. Billy claimed it was not invasive at all there, he has had it for a while and it is growing up on a trellis. BTW, I am trying to encourage him to join DG and share his vast knowledge and experience (but he does not like computers!!)

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh good..so it was "Porcelain Vine"...It really depends what part of the country you are in for them to be invasive...Hope your friend joins..would be nice ...Jeanne

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I have the varigated Porcelain Vine and it is not invasive at all. I have had it for about 7 years..

Larkie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.