Cleaning Stove Top Grates

Harford County, MD(Zone 6b)

I've tried scrubbing them with cleanser and steel wool and they just never seem to get clean.

Last night I decided to put one in a gallon size ziplock bag with pure amonia, ( I keep amonia in a spray bottle ), so I just sprayed into the bag so the grate was covered, zipped it up and let set overnight.

This morning I just used one of those heavy duty green scrubber pads, and with very little elbow grease, all the burned on stuff came right off. I now have another one soaking in the bag to clean this evening.

I've heard you can set a dish of amonia in your oven overnight to make cleaning easier, but it never worked that well for me. I guess the bag keeps the moisture in helping to dissolve the burned on grease.

Before picture:

Thumbnail by ginlyn
This thread has 155 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!