Wisteria dying ,,,,,

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I actually like the idea of the wisteria dying cause it's trying to take over and should never have been planted as close to the house but... wisteria is like Bermuda grass, it's mega hard to kill. That being the case looks like it's got a bacteria or viral infection, which I need to identify and resolve immediately before it spreads. It's already killed one of three Clematis which are within this clump of wisteria.

Weather conditions: extremely hot, drought, high humidity

There are 3 plants:
- center one started here, it's almost leafless, no appearent stem damage.
- one to the left has most of it's leaves but they are discolored and I expect them to drop
- one to it's right has white fuzzy on the trunk, discolored leaves

White fuzzy trunk picture first..

This message was edited Aug 28, 2006 9:04 AM

This message was edited Aug 28, 2006 9:29 AM

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

leave picture #1

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

#2 newer growth

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

#3 Clematis.

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

SOLVED

I just keep researching the Internet until I found the answer.

Judy

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

So what was it?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I don't suppose it is all the way solved because I haven't gotten to the white fuzzy yet I read an article on a little red insect covered in the fuzzy so that is probably it but... it definitely has Spider Mites!!! Who would have thought!! I decided to cut the Wisteria down so I could get to the Clematis main stem easier and while down under it looking up I saw tiny thin webs,

We sprayed it with Talastar One and will slash and burn it tomorrow. Then I can take a good look at the white fuzzy if it's still there. If I'm lucky the Talastar killed it also.

Judy

This is totally disgusting because I've nutured my worms (couldn't turn over a rock or move a flower pot without seeing 3 or 4 big long ones) and in the 7 years we've been here only used a handful of sevin dust. Now we've had a terrible drought and high temps so all the natural enemies of these spider mites have died out. The mites are coming out of the woods and fields around us to feast on my "little bit of heaven" and I swear they wanted to make a meal out of me, bit the sugar out of me.

This message was edited Aug 28, 2006 8:18 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.