My Pond Died...

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

We have a pond that is aproximately 1 1/2 acre. It is fed by run-off. It has its' own little eco system and has been flourishing for the past 15 years that we have lived here. Friday evening we fed the catfish and they came up and ate like crazy. Everything was normal. The crane was there, the birds, frogs, bluegills, turtles, everything was normal... Saturday afternoon late we went out there to feed and not one fish came up to eat. But everything else looked normal, including the crane.

Today (Sunday) we went out at the usual time, and the pond was dead. Hundreds of fish are floating around the edges. The crane is gone, we could not find it. No life, no movement in the water, it looks awful. We found no frogs, no turtles, no birds, but we did not find their bodies either.

We are devastated. This pond has been a tremendous source of peace, and "soul food" for us. The pond is a refuge to go to just sit, reflect, or paddle around in the jonboat. Not to mention the fact that somehow the eco system went belly up and all is lost. I will somehow have to clean up and restore it. But I don't know where to start. And it really, really smells bad.

Is there someone that may know about ponds? I am trying to figure out just what has happened and why.

Some facts: This pond is well established (at least 20 years old) and has been through low water and hot temps before... but the heat has been bad here and the water levels were low. I am suspecting low oxygen levels, but can it happen that fast? We have not used any chemicals near the pond.

Any suggestions, input or information would be appreciated.

Starr

Here is a picture of the west end of the pond earlier this summer.

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
This thread has 90 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!