Living in Georgia is a disappointment for me :o(

Lilburn, GA

Hi!

Last year I moved from England to GA. One of the things I hated in england is that neighbours are people that you politely ignore. You don't know their names, what they do, you just don't see them. Not even in the summer. They avoid meeting each other. sometimes old peeps die in their houses and for weeks no one notices that they are not around. They are suspiscious and do not make friends easiely.

So....... when I found out i was moving to GA i felt i was going to paradise. The weather is fantastic ande the people are very friendly. I thouth it was like a melting pot of different culturesI was wrong.

I live in a subdivision out side Atlanta. I don't know my neighbours and they don't know each other. Here it is the same mentality. Neighbours are people that you politely ignore. Today is Sunday. the weather is perfect. Where is everyone? No noises outside, no children playing, no one having conversations. No music

I had this image of the wonderful deep south where peeps sit outside their front porches in the afternoon talking to everyone. Southern music popping out of someone's radio, the smell of creole food cooking, people laughing loud, knhowing about each other's lives, ready to help in a necessity.

Where is all that???????

The only visit i ever had here was from the stupid old neighbour to shout obsenities about the letter I sent him and his dog.

Lawrenceville, GA

Spider07, I'm so sorry!! I too am in GA. I have lived here all my life, and have found it to be a friendly place. Some exceptions, of course! lol

Have you tried getting involved in your neighborhood assoc., church, kid's school, etc., to find some people in your community of like interests? Maybe that would help...

Again, sorry for your disappointment.

BTW, I visited England last year--loved it! The gardens were wonderful. (Smiling just thinking about it...)

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Spider07,
We have moved a lot and found that most subdivisions are like that. This is such a transient society...people moving in and moving out all the time. It's difficult to get to know anyone these days because you never know what the people will turn out to be like. You may not have anything in common with them.

I have found that if you want to get to know your neighbors, make the first, second, and third move to befriend them. I have delivered seeds, seedlings and shared the bounty of my garden, even a bouquet of flowers if they weren't interested in planting anything.

We have found the smaller towns to be much more friendly than larger ones. The friendliest town we have ever been to is Winterville, GA. In fact, we live in east Athens, but go to church and socialize in Winterville. The only people in Athens we know are our immediate neighbors and my husband's co-workers and we've been here for 4 years now.

I hope things change for you soon. I know how lonely it can become when you don't know anyone and don't have any family nearby.

JoAnn

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Spider, I'm sorry you are disappointed but please realize we ARE friendly here and most Southerner's are very polite. However, the South you envisioned is pretty much a South of the past, like Gone With the Wind. We might have front porches but mostly they are now back decks instead. Current events have changed us all forever, unfortunately. The trust of yesterday is gone forever. As frausnow and Wyndi have suggested, perhaps you could find friendly souls in your local church or neighborhood get-togethers. Unfortunately, there will ALWAYS be a "NASTY" neighbor or two and they just have to be ignored.
I've lived here almost all of my life and have seen so many changes.........some good and some bad but, that is progress. The Atlanta I grew up knowing is truly "gone with the wind"!!
Hopefully, the folks here on DG will help you understand and know there are really some nice people here.
Anyone else want to chime in here?? Come on ya'll lets' help Spider feel like she is welcomed.

Lilburn, GA

Oh no Bugme, don't get me wrong. I love the DG peeps.

I also had the chance to meet pins2006 and she is just a wonderful person. I am talking about peeps that live in my subdivision.
Frausnow gave me a good idea about giving plants away. It seems to me that no onw gardens here. They all have firms that do the jobs for them, even cutting the lawn

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Spider, I'll just bet if you approach someone nearby with flowers or a plant they will just be "blown away". It is so rare for someone to give without expecting something in return that it does take some people by surprise. As far as having people do that for them, they don't know what they're missing do they?
Since moving to the country to 12-1/2 acres I don't have to encounter what you do (thank goodness). Try the effort with an immediate neighbor first and see what happens.
Sharon

Lilburn, GA

Wow, Bugme!!

12 1/2 acres of garden?!?! That is wonderful!

What do you plant in all this land?

Thomson, GA

I'm so sorry you are having a hard time feeling welcome. I wish you were closer; I'd bring you cookies or a pie!!! I have lived in the south all my life, born in SC, moved to Albany GA for a year, moved to Myrtle Beach, SC, moved to Charlotte, NC, then back to Florence, SC, (all these moved due to DH's jobs.) Then the move to the Augusta, GA area 20 years ago. and 6 different neighborhoods here. I'm with Bugme on living away from others. We lived in a subdivision for one year and never knew our neighbors, except for the one time my son's friend parked a tad in front of their driveway and they had a hissy fit. We have found that we are truly happier in the country. Women used to stay home and neighbors a were really important part of life, but now it seems with most women working they may never go outside once they get home. Then, some neighborhoods have block parties!!

The awful experience you have had with your nasty neighbor has certainly not helped with your impression of Georgians and makes me ashamed. But really, most of the folks in the south in general are very friendly. But the "Rules" are the same no matter where you live. I used to tell my kids - 1. to have friends you must first be a friend. 2.Kill 'em with kindness. 3. Even when others are not kind, there is no excuse for being unkind. 4. You will never go wrong putting other's interests first. Eventually you will either wear them down or win them over.

Oh my, I sound like a broken record. The rules have always worked for me (I did a lot of moving, and got LOTS of practice, as did the kids. It seemed I was always the New Employee, and my kids were always the New Students) My son recently wrote a paper for his psychology class where he referenced the way these words of wisdom made it so easy for him to adapt and be happy wherever he found himself. Made me smile. ( He emailed it to me to proof read, but I think it was really his way of saying "Thanks, Mom."

Spider, are you in a new subdivision or in an older, established subdivision?

I live downtown in an older, established subdivision which has been "fixed up" in more recent years. There are some folks who've lived here a good long while, but many are buying homes here only to live in them a short time and have them appreciate so much they can make their "fortune" and sell and move. That is something I find very annoying. We moved here to LIVE here. Frankly, O don't like any of my immediate neighbours (drug dealers, out of work, hanging out on the street..) except for one. He is so nice, but has created a gorgeous little back yard, so he's back there most of the time. I do like many other people who live in the area, and on Sundays some of us get Southernly (especially spring/fall). We just go visiting on Sunday afternoon. Sunday mornings are traditionally fairly quite here, with people at church. The afternoon everyone visits.
It took me awhile to meet people in my neighbourhood, but I walk a lot and eventually I met some people who garden. Then I met some fellow Canadians...then when I began selling plants from my driveway I met all kinds of folks! Now people enjoy to stop by the front yard garden, ask questions etc. I think they needed a reason to begin talking to me, to connect. Sure everyone says hello, but they needed a reason to say more. The garden really helped with that.

Don't give up!

GGG

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Spider,
As someone said earlier, the days of sitting on porches [I sit on mine all the time!] and close, friendly neighbors is mostly over. You sure won't find it in a subdivision- unless it is an older one. But you can still find that close-knit kind of life in rural areas, older neighborhoods, and small towns.

Also, I am betting most of your neighbors aren't native Georgians much less native Southerners.

Oh, I'd love to live in a town like Mayberry from the Andy Griffith Show!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

It all depends where you live and what's going on in the hood. I lived on Hilton Head Island SC for 10 years but I knew I had to move because I got married and kids were most likely on the way. I lived in a plantation that had old people, tourist, and some hard partying, who knows where their money came from types. When I was single it was a great place but I was the guy throwing big parties etc. Some of the old people hated me, LOL. The place was not kid friendly and very few people lived there for more than a few years. Over all no one really knew much about anyone. I had a few retired people who would come over because they thought I was good entertainment. On the other hand my crowd didn't live in the plantation but they did live on Hilton Head.

I moved to a kids neighborhood. Everyone is married and has kids, I mean 95% of the houses. A lot of stay home moms etc. We have block parties, birthday parties, group outings, cub scouts, ball games, and a bunch of activities that everyone sees everyone at. It's a very solid community. Downside is people are a little nosey but that basically has to do with keeping the place safe as possible. Lumber shows up in your driveway and people will come by to see what your building. Pretty much anything shows up and people will ask whats going on.

Spider you would probably like it here but almost everyone has a dog. As far as the pooping dog thing you might be in trouble. LOL. I know all the dogs in the hood and they do show up in my yard once in a while. Sometimes they swim up. A lot of black labs here. One thing about dogs is you can't set up a situation that their going to love.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh Ana, so sorry to hear you're unhappy. I wish you had asked us about where to move, I couldn't live in a gated community either! I'm happy in my 16 acres, can't even see the road. BUT, like others have said, it takes time and effort to make friends, but it's worth it, and soon you'll be invited to sit on their porch (or back deck). Just don't be shy!

Being isolated as I am, I stopped in to intoduce myself to a new neighbor and was so glad I did! Leesa is now a wonderful friend who has almost every plant I have from a cutting or division, and I have some of hers.

Yesterday she hitched up her buddy to take me for my very first ride! Here she and Dude are, headed home--she lives at the top of the next hill on the left.

Thumbnail by violabird
Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Hi Spider,

I am so sorry you are disappointed with Georgia. I know this has already been mentioned but I seriously doubt there are many native Georgians living near you. There has been a tremendous influx in the last few years especially after the Olympics here.

It is also true that most all of us live such a fast paced life - most moms work and all we do is throw up our hands in greeting to our neighbors. I work in the yard a lot and see folks pass and we all wave but I ran into a couple in Kmart and they recognized me but I had no clue who they were. I had only seen them in their vehicle and I need glasses to recognize someone at a distance. I said, oops, sorry, you weren't in your van.

Good advice, though, to get involved in some neighborhood functions or even have a block party or neighborhood watch meeting or something. My daughter complains all the time that lots of people are not friendly but I tell her sometimes you have to be the initiator and a smile is more likely to get a smile in return. Truth of the matter is I am shy so I really have to work on that myself.

I work at Lockheed in Marietta in Cobb County and it is truly amazing how few native Cobb Countians work here or even Georgians for that matter. I frequently refer to myself as a Peach - Georgia that is.

Brenda

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

A lot of it depends upon the type of subdivision. I am also British, my neighbors mostly locally born. A few are friendly in that they will pass the time of day, some will nod or wave, some try and ignore our existance! - but I don't have any close friends in our, fairly new, neighborhood. Perhaps it's because I am not Georgian or that our circumstances are different. I know (non-Geogian) people who have moved into other subdivisions who regularly get-together with their neighbors (who have also mostly moved from out-of-State).

I have made many, many friends in the area, so generally think it is a friendly place - but it would be nice to be able to "pop-over to borrow a cup of sugar" if the necessity arose.

Lake Park, GA

we live in valdosta down in south ga. lived here forever and Lord willing will not move. great place to live, big enough but small enough also.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Sometimes you have to take the initiative and invite someone over for coffee or tea and see how it goes from there. Most are in the same boat as you are - thinking no one has time anymore to drop by and visit. Cable TV, cars, and A/C have changed the social setting forever but most people are ready to chat if given the opportunity. The Southern porch is no longer the place to be in the evening hours since the indoors is now cooler (and mosquito-free) than Granny's back porch.

There is one problem and that is making fast friends and finding out later that you wished you had just stayed neighbors (they become pests instead of friends in other words). Then it becomes very difficult to cool the friendship. So Go Slow.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Why not be the one to organize a "meet your neighbors" party one afternoon late or just have a few over for an "English Tea Party". I bet they would come! I would make the invitation sweet and cordial and say since I am new to Georgia, I would love to host a little get together to meet my wonderful new neighbors. Sometimes we have to initiate the meetings, it really isn't easy to make new friends this day and age with so many people just living to work, come home, eat dinner, go to bed, and start over the next day. BUT I have found most people will take a few minutes out of their day to enjoy something that "someone else" makes time to do for them! I may be worth a try. For many years my home was the place everyone gathered, with their families in tow. When I became ill and could no longer do the festivities every weekend, we stopped seeing each other but once or twice a year. Now I have three women that are very dear to me and we made a pact to go out to dinner and get together once every month "NO MATTER WHAT"! It is wonderful and of course these monthly meetings make way for us to see each other more often, because we get to find out what is going on and invite each other to other activities as well. I still have family gatherings almost every weekend, and at least four or five "bring your kids and grandkids and come cook out" parties a year. BUT if I didn't do it "NOONE" would make the time. Sad but true. Spider, maybe even start with one neighbor you know if home during the day and befriend them first, and then add to your group. Let us know how it works out! I would love to come and see you soon, so let me know how your time is okay. I will bring yu some goodies from my garden!
JanetS

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I am in Dunwoody - a suburb just outside Atlanta - and I live on a cul-de-sac and know all my neighbors. I like some and others not so much, but I know them all. We have an email list and holiday street parties for the subdivision. I chose this neighborhood because my friend (of 35 years) lives here and I've always been impresed by how friendly everyone is. I do take flowers to my neighbors and am amazed at how pleased they are to get them. You'd think these flowers were solid gold.

I pick up my next door neighbor's mail when they are out of town and she brings me fab veggies from her garden. The fellow across the street came over and mowed my grass when my Mom had died and I just couldn't summon up the effort. He said 'I understand how this is.' Other people brought over food.

I planted tomatoes for an older neighbor this year and weed-eatered her back yard. She takes me out for lunch sometimes and lends me cake pans or a cup of sugar.

It is a nice neighborhood so I can say there are definitely some around.

I do like JanetS's idea of a tea party - it sounds like a wonderful way to meet your neighbors and I'll bet they'd love to come.

You do need to BE outside when others are and talk to them first if you need to. It has been so hot that few people go outside except in the evening or early morning.

Do talk to them when you can - ask advice, trade plants, have the tea party! I also like JanetS's advice about getting to know your next-door neighbor first. Don't give up!

Lilburn, GA

Thank you everyone!!!

Yes, most of peeps I meet are not Georgians. I do not think we have any georgians living in this subdivision. It is so sad... i love the southern accent.

Thank you very much for all the ideas. I will plan something and see what happens.

You are all a great bunch of wonderful people!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Spider,

I can only say what's already been said about neighbors and neighborhoods in general in this fast-paced age we live in now. Before TV, computers and now mostly stressful corporate jobs, people didn't have alot of distractions. People would sit on the porch with neighbors who had lived in the same house for generations and became a close net family among friends. People over the age of 40 experienced this neighborhood bond in some form or another. I only regret that my children can only read of these times.
The posts have given all of us a plethora of ideas for getting accquainted with our neighbors and the community in which we live. Sometimes, you just have to break-the-ice and introduce yourself.

"If the world seems cold to you, kindle fires to warm it."
David Lloyd George, British Prime Minister and statesman, (1863-1945)

I hope to get the chance to meet you in person. I'd love to "hear you talk" and talk about all the sights and gardens found in England.

Happy Gardening
Deborah

Lyons, GA(Zone 8a)

Well, I probably am going to make a bunch of you people that live in Atlanta angry, but, oh well, here goes.

Although Atlanta is in Georgia, Atlanta aint Georgia. If you want to visit the "real south" you have to get out of the Atlanta area and into some of the rural counties to the south. Atlanta has been taken over by Yankees, (sorry, it's the truth) and the true southern culture has been replaced by the urban culture.

I live in the country, (closest neighbur is about a mile) and love it! Most people think when you live in the country, you don't see any of your neighbors. Not so! Everyone stilll waves at you down here, whether they know you or not! When you have a death in the family, neighbors bring food to your house!

When garden crops are ready, we call each other and share with all!

It is truely a different world than that around Atlanta. BTW - we lived in Atlanta a few years ago, a subdivision too. Hated every stinking, loud, bad neighbor minute.

Would write more but got to go to work.

Move at least 50 miles from outside I-285 and it would be better.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Anna,

As a recent transplant to Georgia (my mother's home state) from Florida, I see a lot of wisdom here in the above posts. DH and I are serioulsy considering either Georgia out of Atlanta, or Oregon at the moment (how's that for variants?...LOL)

Jobs have a lot to do with where people live. I work from home (thank you G-d), but DH works wayyy away and needed to be near the bus/MARTA transport system while I was in Florida for a year taking care of a child (we only have one car).
Our immediate left/right neighbors are politely friendly, but all work and are rarely home. We've been to one neighbor's house for a lite dinner, but they are so fiercely politically different (no, I didn't bring it up!!) that now we just kind of chat when we see each other outside. The husband usually only mentions something he doesn't like about the current gov't (bait I simply don't take anymore), or talks about selling property up in another area of the state and moving away to Jekyll Island. His wife I really like, but she works away from home and I rarely see her. She's retiring in September so I hope to see her more before they move. But at least they are both pleasant.
The other neighbors are rarely ever outside, but usually say hello when they are - and we've discussed plant care (they are professional landscapers who believe spraying is the answer to everything, and I'm organic...LOL)

DH and I are homebodies; we wave and say "hi" to the bazillion people that walk down our busy street (and get panhandled a lot), but that's about it. Some people aren't rude, they just are reclusive...LOL. We'd do better far out in the country probably than the city, if it weren't for the looooong drive DH would have to make.

I think a lot of people have to be so socially involved at work that home has now become the 'decompression' area - a no-visit zone. I am on my porch almost every evening (that's where my potting bench is), but I work a lot in the back yard too because that's where we're trying to make a haven - away from the noise of the street and surrounded by plants, trees and citronella torches :) My DH is far more likely to be working in the yard, or in the house, than ever chatting with a neighbor. But he's the quickest to pitch in if someone breaks down, gets lost, or generally needs help. He's just currently fed up with our society and limits his interaction with most people.
I'd talk to a stump if I had a few minutes to spare (and do talk to my plants!)...but I'm a little gun-shy with people these days; a big change from earlier in my life. I too, think I would like what you're looking for - but I'm not sure there are that many of that kind of folks around anymore. I know in Florida, they got terribly scarce - most people moving in and very busy, with little interaction. But I worked 50+ hours a week, and was a single mom - I barely had time to say "boo" to anyone.

Just don't give up - and maybe one day we'll actually "see" each other around.

~Sunny

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Quote from Larry: "Although Atlanta is in Georgia, Atlanta aint Georgia. If you want to visit the "real south" you have to get out of the Atlanta area and into some of the rural counties to the south".

I couldn't agree more. Hotlanta is swallowing our area up more and more each year. The construction around here is unbelievable. The rural landscape is a thing of the past. No more hunting, shooting and fishing for DH. He's been wanting to move for years!

Lilburn, GA

I would love to move to the countryside and have a small nursery.

The problem is DH's work. He works at Emory University so, a rural place would be too faraway. :o(

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Spider,

Just finished reading the most recent posts and have to say, hcmcdole
gave some good advice. In other words, you might get more than you bargained for.
Brenda

Lilburn, GA

Janet,

I would love to meet. We could do something when the weather gets cool so we can do some planting.

I haven't forgotten about you.

Saint Simons Island, GA

spider: i think i am experiencing what you hoped for. i am a northerner who moved to a small street on saint simons island off the coast of georgia two years ago.no one has a front porch but some of my neighbors approached me the first day i arrived to offer something to drink and a cool place to rest (i was renovating a house). since then they have invited me for every holiday meal (fabulous southern dishes), offered to drive me to the dentist when i needed to be knocked out, given me tons of plants to rehab my garden....along with advice on how to care for things and told me stories about their families and the history of the island. it is a wonderful experience, i feel truly blessed. dooley worth, saint simons island

Lilburn, GA

Wow, you are lucky!!!

I am so ignorant I did not know that Georgia had islands.

Saint Simons Island, GA

spider: the coast of georgia has a series of magnificient islands, some wild, some developed, all beautiful, you should plan to visit them while you are in atlanta. saint simons, one of the most developed, has been inhabited by europeans (and natives before them) since the 1500's. an englishman oglethorpe built a fort here and drove the spanish out in the early 1700's. later it became legendary for its sea island cotton (there were 13 cotton plantations in the early 19th century). the environment is like no other i have experienced. dooley

Thomson, GA

Surely, the islands of GA are one of the world's best kept secrets!

Lilburn, GA

Wow, i have to go there!!!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Spider the coast is a lot different from where you are. You should check it out and for that matter I always found Savannah to be a friendly place, very pretty small city. Has a European feel to it.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Spider,

I agree with people's perception of the big city. To really appreciate the state of Georgia, you need to drive out of Atlanta. From the north Ga mountains to the coast, there's something breathtaking to see and warm friendly people to meet.
Also, close to you is Calloway Gardens in Pine Mountain in west Ga. It would be a nice day trip and a good time to "stop and smell the roses", which we all need to do.

Happy Gardening
Deborah

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Spider,
I second the suggestion of Savannah. It is gorgeous with all the old buildings and houses, the trees, flowers and the squares{parks}. The people are so hospitable and warm. If you want to see a truly Southern city go there! It is my favorite place to visit! I wish I could live there.

And you MUST visit the North Georgia Mountains this fall when the leaves change colors- it is a sight to see!

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Lots of places in GA to visit plus neighboring states if we're talking about visiting. Nothing wrong with Atlanta either. You'd think that no one is civil once they are inside I285. Maybe for driving, but there are lots of nice folks anywhere you go, lots of nasty ones too but hey, maybe they are having a bad day or had a death in the family so lets not jump to conclusions. Savannah is very hot and humid so go in cooler months.

Usually if you talk nice to people, they will respond in kind. If you're unfriendly, then people will assume you don't want to get involved. If you run across people who have a bad attitude all the time, then avoid them. No sense in having negative people pull you down.

The Atlanta Botanical Garden is very nice plus the Georgia Aquarium. There are lots of other attractions downtown as well.

Most folks come to Atlanta because of their job which isn't their fault. I worked downtown over 18 years and overall had a good experience (except for the drive).

Lawrenceville, GA

Spider, I heartily agree with everyone about the islands!! My DH's family is from Savannah. Beautiful city--you should try to eat at The Lady and Sons (Paula Deen's restaurant from TV). Do try to visit Tybee Island--only a few minutes from Savannah with a lovely wide beach and a lighthouse you can climb to the top with gorgeous views. Also, I recommend Cumberland Island. They have wild horses there. Well worth a visit!

I hope things improve in your neighborhood. My neighborhood has a lot of "transplants" as well, but it is fun to get to know people of different cultures. It is true that Atlanta is very different from when I was a child. I didn't know anyone of another culture living nearby. Only us natives. LOL

All the best!

Thomson, GA

I love Savannah. Midnight in the garden of good and evil and all that. Oh, the people and the food, just heaven. It was our second choice when we decided to make a move. The architecture and ambience downtown in phenominal. I understand there is always a wait at The Lady and Sons, but it's definitely on my list for my next trip to Savannah. Dahlonega is gorgeous and only an hour from Atlanta. There are a lot of smaller towns that have enormous charm. Madison is one of those - antibellum homes to DIE FOR!! There are even new subdivisions that look like 19 century Charleston. I love it! . If you are into history, Washington is a cool place to visit, and of course, I am partial to Thomson. Lots of ranching and farming, wide open spaces here and great access to the lake. Great antiquing and real nice folks.

Atlanta is a really cool city to visit ( I used to work in Atlanta 2 -3 days a week) but I can't see myself living there. As I am sure you have read by now, there is a lot more to GA than Atlanta!!

Lilburn, GA

Hi!

Thank you very much for all the info.

I am not saying that GA is not beautiful. I love it! It is just that I thought peeps would be very friendly like in the american films. Like i said about Sunday afternoons in my first post.

I thing Ga is gorgeous. I have been to Dahlonega and it is one of the most beautiful places I have seen. I would love to move there but it is too faraway.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Hi Anna,

I just saw this thread and had to chime in. As you know, I live inside 285 and love it. I know lots of my neighbors and we get along great. We do have a Women's Club and a neighborhood swim and tennis club, so that is a big plus for new families. I will say there are some people here who won't try to get to know new people, but that is their loss.

I do agree that Atlanta is not like the rest of Georgia, and there are good and bad points for that. Lakeside High School, where my dh teaches and my kids graduated is wonderful. The kids there have 53 primary languages, so it has a huge culture range.

I don't agree that subdivisions are primarily people from out of state. I'm sure that is true for many of the subs several miles outside I-285, but most of my neighbors are from Georgia. I hate to go to the outlying areas on the weekends because of the traffic. We just don't have any problems here. So many people are afraid of Atlanta they would do a lot to not come here. There is just so much they are missing. I'm not trying to set up a rural vs urban thing here - its just that the urban areas also have a lot to be enjoyed.

I just bought my dh a great book entitled "Wierd Georgia" by Jim Miles. It covers interesting sites all over the state and has great stories behind each one. We have lots of ghosts in Georgia, especially in cities close to the coast. It includes roadside oddities (like the Big Chicken in Marietta and the huge copper fish in Buckhead), properties with wonderful folk art, unexplained phenomena, and all kinds of other things. We have great Indian mounds up in Etowah, too.

Maybe some of us should get together and do some field trips when the weather cools down. I know that we DG folks would love to meet each other. Oh, the Yellow Daisy Festival in Stone Mountain is coming up. That would be fun.

I belong to the Georgia Hosta Society that meets 4 times a year on Saturday afternoons in Tucker. I would love to invite everybody here who might be interested. They are a great bunch of people, and we don't spend all of our time just talking hostas, although there is a great cut leaf show every year in the spring. They sell lots of different plants there, too.

Everybody, and especially Anna, please give me a call if you're interested in any of the suggestions above (or any other outing as well). It would be fun! We could even go to the islands one weekend. Savannah is only 4 or so hours away.

Carmen

Lyons, GA(Zone 8a)

I find it very interesting that the people that "just love" Savannah, don't live there.

Oh well!

I have to work here, In Savannah and that's close enough for me. I guess I am just blessed to live in the rural south where there is still a "southern culture."

One day I am going to have more than a few minutes to write down my thoughts but until then...

Gotta go.

BTW, Savannah is a nice city to VISIT...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.